Information

Canterbury- South Island

Folks within Christchurch driving distance that can share/exchange a bottle

Members: 87
Latest Activity: Dec 15, 2015

Discussion Forum

Comment Wall

Comment by Nicholas Jones on May 3, 2010 at 7:10pm
Yeah that was my thoughts Joe, if its not suitable maybe just for water heating if nothing else..What do you reckon??
Comment by James P on May 3, 2010 at 7:15pm
Yep I have one of those too Nick, got it free from the father in law. I use it as my HLT as I don't have the original thermostat plug.
Comment by JoKing on May 3, 2010 at 7:28pm
If the thing is fully insulated then there is no reason not to use it as a mash tun. Just remember to to turn the element on while you are mashing... not a good idea!
Comment by Nicholas Jones on May 3, 2010 at 8:19pm
It isnt insulated, but nothing a bit of expanding foam or insulating fabric woundnt cure..
Comment by nzbrewer on May 11, 2010 at 9:31am
Anyone want to come down for a beer on Wednesday at Pomeroy's. Maybe an Epic Thornbridge Stout? See you there. (should be there from 4.30pm on)

Cheers
Luke
Comment by Tom Innes on May 11, 2010 at 9:50am
I use one of these. For mashing I use it as a heat bath. I put the grain and water in an 18l bucket and set it in the preserver with the water in the preserver running at 80-90 deg. C. This holds the temp in the bucket at 65-70 deg. I then run the water from the preserver into a couple of pots and put those on the stove. The water is just the right temp for the sparge. I then sparge back into the (now empty) preserver and crank it up for the boil. Works a treat, great system. Happy to explain further if anyone is interested. BTW, I got this method off a friend who got it off Paul Cooper from Wigram Breweries. Cheers.
Comment by Nicholas Jones on May 11, 2010 at 12:17pm
Tom, thats a Brilliant method, think I too will give that a crack. do you just sit the bucket on top of the rack?? do you have a tap on your bucket to do the sparge?
I too am looking forward to a good night at Pomeroy's, see you all there whoever is attending! Nick
Comment by Tom Innes on May 11, 2010 at 4:06pm
Yep, the bucket sits on the rack. At the moment I have to move the grains into my sparge vessel (can't think what its called - I use two buckets, one inside the other, the inner one has 4 mm holes drilled all across the bottom, the outer one has a tap) with a scoop. Anyway, the whole system works very well. If you give it a go it will make sense as you go. The water temps and quantities all work well.

One more tip. Paul Cooper fitted his wort chiller into the lid of the sterilizer. That means as soon as the boil is finished you just switch off the power, put the lid on and run the water through it. Then once its cooled you open the tap and run the wort straight into your fermenter. Brilliant. (I have to run the wort out of the sterilizer and into my Stainless steel pots and put those in water baths all around the house to chill it. From there it goes into the fermenter.)

If anyone is seriously interested in how this system works let me know. I am happy to show you.

Happy brewing.

PS Final tip. The stainless Agee preservers are better tan the aluminum ones (though aluminum will do the job too). They go for $18- - $220 on TradeMe.
Comment by Nicholas Jones on May 11, 2010 at 5:53pm
Sounds good Tom, would def love to see some pics if you can..
Comment by Tom Innes on May 15, 2010 at 4:36pm
Nick I might get round to pics one day. Meantime I see on your profile that the uni Staff Club is one of your favourite places. If you are there some time (or want to go there) get in touch and I can met you there (I am a member). I live just down the road. We could have a beer at the club and then head down take a quick look at my system.

Comment

You need to be a member of Canterbury- South Island to add comments!

Members (87)

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service