Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi  there

My company has purchased a bunch of different Moa beers with the idea of giving mixed boxes away to valued customers and staff.

I am no stranger to bottle conditioned beer (as I have brewed a fair bit and don't own a kegging setup yet) but the amount of sludge in the bottom of the pale ale has me concerned.

It is not a nicely packed sediment like I would expect - more of a loose fluffy substance that is not stuck to the bottom but floating free in the beer. The also-bottle-conditioned belgian tripel and wheat beer look great, with just a tight ring of sediment on the bottom of the bottle as I would expect.

The marketing guy that organised this purchase has spoken to the sales guy at Moa and been assured it is fine - and that the pale ale always looks like that because it has more proteins in it.

I had difficulty photographing it but will attach my efforts - sorry about the crap pics. (cellphone camera)

What do you think? Is this normal? I have put one in the fridge to chill and will try it in an hour or so.

Cheers
Patrick

Views: 700

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sometimes adding a Protein rest can free up more f.a.n than what the Yeasts needs durring primary fermentation, which adds to the yeast problem of it thinking it wants to hang around and taking a fuck load longer to floc and or creating fluffy bums, fluffy bums I cant believe I just wrote that!! Queer!!
you've really got a dream job, haven't you... and you sure let us know about it ya bastard!! ;-)

(I guess we don't see the hard yards you put in over the years to get where you are)

I hope you're planning on sticking around for a while David, the beers have really come a long long way in the last few years.

At Townshend's, all our bottled beers are bottled conditioned. All except for the Three Piece Wheat have had a bit of a revamp due to issues with too much sediment in the past.

Never do a protien rest (cause we can't), chill down when ferment is over. Transfer with Issinglass for 48hrs at 0 degC.

Bottle with lager yeast. Very little sediment. Great control over end product.

But, if a customer takes bottle on a rollercoaster and drinks it as soon as they get home: a little hazy.

M

Embrace the haze ;o) similair to what steph says, if the beer tastes good, drink it!!

Edit : But yeh, wtf is up with the green bottles Dave?

Thanks Stu, yes I love making beer and I love drinking it even more and I have no intention of going away yet. As a commercial brewer for 25 years and one day (just realised that as I wrote this!) I always look at a beer from the brewers perspective, what was the objective and do I like it????? I definitely do not put beers in style boxes!

Why green bottles Reviled, it goes with our wine/vineyard persona. Try finding an amber champagne bottle???? Our new 375ml bottle is way darker and gives good light protection. It is also all about education for the retailer/distributor/consumer that sun f...ks beer. Why have a beer in a brown bottle poured in a clear drinking glass to sit in direct sun?

Cheers

David

PS I thought you were from Upper Hutt Mike, there are no fluffy bums there mate!

To right the closest thing you get to a fluffy bottom around here is the Easter Bunny and thank fuck he's only here once a year or everyone one would have fat bottoms lol

"As a commercial brewer for 25 years and one day"

Thats an awesome achievement mate, I think you should shout yourself a beer ;o) lol

Yes, congratulations.  You should remind a few people (such as those mentioned in this article) who the brewer is:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/4449659/42-Belows-Ross-takes-stake-...

The 42 below investment explains the random homophobic T-shirts.  Angry gays done a great job promoting vodka in the US and now they are just being used again to get media attention in NZ.  I guess if they are that easy to rile up they are just asking to be used by some unscrupulous marketer.

Haha, well observed, I hadn't clicked to that. I'll look forward to some more controversial advertising then.

i heard their next campaign was going to be called "two girls and a cup of full strength moa"...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service