Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

OK here's my recipe, I previously posted it in the recipe thread. All feedback welcome.

The recipe was actually Joking's. Ta very much.

German wheat 55%
Bohemian Pilsner 26%
Munich 19%
Tettnang 5.20% 60min
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.012
IBU: 15
Volumes Co2: 3.75

Stepped infusion mash: 52C 15 min, 62C 30min, 71C 30min
90 min boil
Pitched yeast at 12C, raised to 18C progressively over 6 days.
Held at 18C for 10 days then crash cooled to 2C and held for 2 days prior to priming and bottling

Brew day was 6th Feb. Bottled on 24th Feb.

The bottle itself isn't labelled but has a cardboard tag around the neck. Hopefully it's still attached.

Views: 57

Replies to This Discussion

This is the only one I have tried so far and I really enjoyed it :-)
Lots of bubblegum and banana going on. Reminded me of Tuatara Heffe when its on form but with more bubblegum. Very nice beer, the Mrs liked it to.
Glad you and your Mrs enjoyed it Dale. I've had the Tuatara Heffe on tap a few times at Galbraith's and really enjoyed it, so your comparison is a real compliment :-)
I figured this'd be a good lunchtime beer on a sunny Friday, and I wasn't disappointed.

Perfect carbonation and great appearance - gotta love that weizen head. :)

Nice combination of wheat beer aromas - bubblegum, but a touch of spice and banana too, with a hint of wheat-beer tang.

I found the flavours much more spice driven than the typical banana, which made the a much more nuanced and complex weizen than many I have tried. A bit of lemon-ish sourness there too.

The finish was quite minerally, with quite a disprin-like quality (the carbonation might have contributed to this). This gave the beer a much drier, thirst-quenching feel than the FG would suggest, but maybe it masked a bit of the malt character. I'm not sure whether this is a water issue or a tettnang flavour - it was less noticeable as the beer warmed a little.

Certainly a tasty beer though, and I loved the emphasis on spice rather than banana! Nice one.
Lunchtime yesterday - shared with brendon, who arrived just as I waspouring.

Deep cloudy gold with a short lasting airy white head. nose is banana and bubblegum first, then clove-like spice which some to dominate later. Rich candy-like malt through the middle with a touch of banana and plenty of spice. A little too fat for me in the middle, though the tartness of the wheat is certainly there. Dry minerally finish. Classic brew, well done.

My personal preference is for something a little more slender. I really liked the first few sips of this but drinkability dwindled as i got through it. I definitely prefer Belgian-styles to German in the wheat department, and this is classic south German. I think the combination of 'sweet' esters and richer Munich malt addition push this out of the realm of hefeweizens I totally dig. In saying all this - well made beer and probably more toward the average hefeweizen lover's liking than denims.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes it is a tad minerally. I doubt it's to do with the tettnang, but this is the first Hefe I've done so I have nothing to compare it to. I'll definitely brew this again, next time I'll use Pacifica (Pacific Hallertau) so as to compare. Will probably also reduce the Munich to about 10%. Possibly the water contributed to the mineral profile. I used Auckland tap (yum) run through a carbon filter. No salt additions.

In terms of the emphasis on spice rather than banana... err, I wish I could say that was deliberate but it's just how it turned out!
Poured a dirty amber color with a short lasting white head of large bubbles.
Aroma of spicy burnt oranges with bananas an additional general fruitiness as it warmed.
Carbonation medium providing a tingly mouthfeel. Nice body.
Has a tartness/sourness and some burnt caramel flavour.
Second glass had more yeast and started taking on a milky/creamy aftertaste towards the bottom of the glass.
Very nice beer, easy to drink.
Very different to DeminGlens (no comparison really), Reminded me of Tuatara Hefe.

Good job mate although I expected something hoppier from someone with a name like DoubleHoppy :)

Cheers
Okay, so not really a huge wheat beer fan but this looked nice after a game of five-a-side.
So, notes are Pours cloudy, with fine white head that stays till the end of the glass. Colourwise i was stumped, sort of straw with orange hints. Sort of reminded me of an Autumn Sunset in a roundabout way. Aroma = banana, lemons, bubblegum. Taste = more of the same. Struggle with wheat beers to put a finger on what I'm tasting but I liked this one. Reminded me a little of the Tuatara Hefe, but possibly because thats the only commercial wheat I've had recently. Nice beer, cheers
Just cracked this one now.

Strong mashed slightly browned bananas. Rich bready, bread crust, malt character, kinda sweet.

Golden yellow, cloudy - but not too over the top, just the way I like it. Pours fizzy head, thins quickish.

Highly carbed, spicy, a touch of sweetness, tart.

Really nice beer mate.
Thought I would have this while finishing the propagation my yeast tonight....

Colour is a amber / copper, with a dull cloudy haze. Head starts good, then dissipates over the next couple of minutes. Little nutty with some spice, with earth and a little bit of ripe banana, far from overpowering which I have found in some commercial hefes.

Mouth feel is a little slick with lively carbonation. A little metallic?

Personally I'm not a wheat fan, however this was an good rounded beer, which I finished.... before I finished yeast propagation, cheers!
You've converted Sarah to a beer drinker, massive congrats!

Anyway, just finished this one off. Pours cloudy, goldish brownish yellow; bannanas and bubble-gum on the nose. Delvious, and a big thumbs up from all here (Mick, Jade, Will, Sarah & Uli).

Oh yeah, and woo, Sarah likes beer!
Pours a cloudy toffee like golden colour with a big fluffy head which sticks like glue! Aroma of clove and bubblegum with a hint of herbs and banana's - Taste is clean, spritzy with a slight malty sweetness (munich? Im sure I can taste it) more clove on the palate and a nice finish...

Im not a wheat guy but this went down really easily, and I even finished the bottle off ;o) Great work mate! Cheers

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service