Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Just wanting to know how long is everyone waiting for the S-05 to clean up the beer? Every beer I ferment with S05 leaves me with a cloudy beer out of fermenter (Even sitting for 3 weeks). I have split Fermented a control using S-04 to see if this has been bad practice. After 7 days the S-04 is crystal clear and the S-05 is just like other S05 brew I have brewed. I have one at the moment that looks like a good Wit and believe it or not tastes like one also? Heres the recipe to prove it aint.

5.00 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC)
100g Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (15 min)
60gm Cascade US Plugs [6.80 %] (15 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (10 min)
5 gm Challenger [7.50 %] (0 min)
30gm Cascade US Pellets [6.30 %] (0 min)
10gm Nelson Sauvin [11.40 %] (0 min)

1 Pkgs S-05

Views: 543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I got some from Ross of Craftbrewers in Australia in December (waiting for me to get a move on in my fridge right now) and the bb date is 05/09. He also sent me an S 04 and the bb dtae is 09/09.
Cheers,
Ian
I bought S-05 yesterday from Brewcraft in Mt Eden, bb is 05/09
Got 3 from Yourshout last week, all are bb 03/2009... that'll need to be used pretty soon... geez!
05/09 seems to be the latest available - that' what I picked up yesterday too from Great Exp.
My wife bought the last packet of US-05 from GE today. Expiry 03/2009!!!

She also picked up some S-04 Expiry 01/2010

There's no US-05 left at GE as of today (unless he has some stashed away in a cupboard somewhere) but plenty of S-04.
I went in there yesterday and bout some Dme and Crown Caps. I looked in the fridge and seen on the S05 packets they had an Expiry of 052009 on them and I do remember mine having that Expiry date on them. Wife bought a pack with an expiry date of 032009?????. This pisses me off, cant he rotate his stock? what care does he put into his product? I know what I put into mine!! And I do belive what you quoted 'unless he has some stashed away in a cupboard somewhere' I did'nt want to say or think it, but maybee I did purchase dodgy Yeast?
Nah, comes in, goes out, makes a buck & a half. Job done.

There's no money in beer supplies (as Stu also explains elsewhere) the money's in spirits
I know what you mean.

I'd like to take my business elsewhere but there is a severe lack of options here in Welly. Oh well, I guess that's what you get when you live in little old Wellington in little old NZ.

Take the good with the bad.
Think you're hard done by try suppliers in Napier, (local store is more than backwards) closest good supply is Welly or Auckland, if not for a really good local brewery (talking grain here) we would really be lost.

Rich
Time for a bouquet among the brickbats. Steve and Cherry at Homebrewed in Hamilton run by far the best homebrew store I've seen. Steve is a keen brewer himself, entering both SOBA NHCs so far, and doing well in the first one though not the second. :) They're always happy to talk beer and source a great variety of hops and malts. In addition to the usual brewcraft stuff, they have all sorts of bits and pieces, and just browsing through the shop is fun.

If you're near the 'Tron, or just passing through, they're well worth a visit. Only minor gripe: They don't have a display fridge, so hops are kept on the shelf at room temp. That said, turnover seems to be rapid, and I've never had a problem with stale or "cheesy" hops.

I guess for once I can feel luckier than the Wellywooders about something beer related! ;)
What do you need/want in Wellington?

You can buy all sorts of malt from us at Liberty. Hops from NZ Hops (we are thinking of bulk purchasing some hops, so that homebrewers get a decent supply - I know it can be hard to get what you want from NZ Hops at times, their main focus is of course the commercial side).

I've looked into dried yeast but, to be totally frank, there's a brick wall between me and Fermentis in that regard. I have had some (and another possible option coming). Nicholford does a good job on the Wyeast. You can also ship Wyeast/White Labs from various sources.

I'd really like a walk-in option at some point, somewhere where brewers can come and chew the fat as well as buying ingredients... we'll see we we go...

As JT said, the money is all in spirits and the like. If we were making money here, which we're not, I'd be paying myself about $1/hour as a wage (so I'd have to take myself to court for breaching minimum wage!!! Or maybe I could sue Brendon).
I got three on wednesday - there was at least a dozen there then.
I always check the dates of the packs at the front and the back of the box & chose the latest :-)
Must admit I didn't see any 03/09 there, thought they were all 05/09

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service