Information

Canterbury- South Island

Folks within Christchurch driving distance that can share/exchange a bottle

Members: 87
Latest Activity: Dec 15, 2015

Discussion Forum

Comment Wall

Comment by Nick T on October 16, 2009 at 1:40pm
With extract, I am told freshness is the key and therefore I am a bit wary of the tins on the sunny shelves in the Chch home brew shops, especially the ones that have travelled from overseas. The first day I called DMH about extract they happened to have just packaged a fresh batch of their house brand, so I have always since ordered their DMH extract, I get the feeling it is probably fresher than most of the others. Plus it comes in 1 kg units, so potentially less waste if you use a partial pot. Just email or phone Jannn or use their online system. Last time it was on my doorstep the next day! James tells me it is just the Blackrock stuff, but my brews so far (admittedly only 3) taste just fine......
Comment by Tom Innes on October 16, 2009 at 1:45pm
Interesting. I thought the freshness thing was more about kits (because of the yeast), and that the extract itself, once canned, would keep pretty-well indefinitely. However, if what you say is correct then perhaps I need to take more care on that one.

Anyway, I will probably be heading the all-grain way for my next brew.
Comment by Nick T on October 16, 2009 at 1:53pm
Hi Tom. I think there is a discussion in Palmer about it; in particular the colour will supposedly darken considerably with age so presumably this might also affect taste (?)
With you on the AG, but my first one is a while off yet!
Comment by Ged on October 16, 2009 at 3:44pm
HOPS - NZ Hops, Craftbrewer, some guys here on the board - Joking etc or some kind chaps in CChurch who have an excess amount in their fridges.

I would avoid the hops from YS as the packaging looks like it was made in 1974 and the color has leached from it so much it, the writing is hard to make out...God only knows whats happened to the hop cones inside - maybe they intensify with flavour. Other than that YS linwood is very helpful and has most of the fermenting kit you would need alongwith a myriad of kits if thats how you wish to go. Y

You should also definitely visit Aqua Vitae to experience a most invaluable lesson in beer knowledge and customer service..Seriously..You wont ever regret it. Lifechanging stuff..Never experienced anything like it before.....Ask him around all grain brewing and watch the color change.... :)

Welcome to the club
Comment by Nick T on October 16, 2009 at 3:58pm
ROTFLOL I went into AV asking for unhopped DME a while back, was made to feel like a bit of a dick for asking (the implication being 'nobody uses that stuff, what on earth do you need it for, you freak'). Same when I asked about starsan at YS Papanui, she tried to make me feel like I was a complete fool for asking about something that didn't (in her universe) exist! Are all these people related to the guy at great Expectations in Wellington that everyone seems to have had a (really) bad experience at?? Or all theae places just Faulty Towers franchises?
Comment by Bren on October 16, 2009 at 4:13pm
To put a spin on the whole extract storage-life argument, i brewed a kit beer last year from a (at very least) 10 year old can of "British Mild" my old man found in his basement... can't remem the brand. And it was TOP NOTCH! loved it. To be clear, I did fortify it somewhat with a new can of blackrock amber, and a new yeast packet, but still.

p.s. AV... how does that place survive? i mean, really how does it?
Comment by James P on October 16, 2009 at 4:15pm
For all his perceived failings Paul at YS Linwood is a good guy, much better than the other two in my opinion. If you want to do all grain talk to the local HBers first (like on here or make a date for a meet and greet) then talk to Liberty (Joking on this forum), Dunedin Malthouse (Jann on this forum), or Brewer's Coop for your goods.
Comment by James P on October 16, 2009 at 4:17pm
Bren, I would say it's a laundering operation....
Comment by Nick T on October 16, 2009 at 4:20pm
Oh I agree James, I wasn't talking about Paul in my bit, sorry! I always find him helpful and chatty when I go in for hardware, bottles and some grain / DME etc.
Comment by Bren on October 16, 2009 at 4:26pm
re laundering, its the only logical answer.... has anyone tried asking for crack instead of malt? or paying in car stereo's...

Comment

You need to be a member of Canterbury- South Island to add comments!

Members (87)

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service