Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I would like to provoke the discussion on this topic, although it has been raised on here before, to try and find out the real costs around the country and see where the value for money drinks really are. And who is actually ripping the customer off. I will start with Speights Alehouse who charge $6.80 for a 400ml 'pint' which equates to $9.66 a true pint (568ml). So take your measuring jugs to the bars, then when your mates moan about the cost of real ales point this out to them!

Views: 1437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

so many things come into my choice when looking at a fuel purchase...

in one service station you are getting a choice of 91 or 95 octane, and at the other you have a choice of an 83, an 87, 6 types of 91, three types of 95, a 101 and a whole top shelf of 900+ "single well" fuels at the other end (and some of them are the elusive light Nigerian).

and what sort of glass does it come in?

are the "pump staff" knowledgeable about the fuel?

are the other people filling up at each station worth looking at or talking to?

are the pies at BP as good as the ones at Mobil?

Oh, no, they're all related to drinks are bars, not service stations. That's right the fuel at service station is exactly the same, it's just a different coloured box on the ground that makes the difference. It's a completely different argument.
I like the thinking, but I would suggest maybe using glass style names and force the manufactures of the said glasses to conform for import/export. This way you order what you want and get what is legal and across the board in size without the hastle of everyone having to guess. Just a thought.

IE

Pint - 637ml
Boston - 500ml
Half - 318ml
etc etc
The fill-to-measure line on glasses is an interesting one - I've seen that often on wine glasses (ginormous glass, not much wine) but never on a beer glass that I recall.
I have seen pint-lines on beer glasses in the UK (most notably, Staropramen and Hoegaarden) but a lot of landlords don't like them because the british idea of a pint means a pint glass filled to the absolute brimming maximum, never mind the fact the some of it ends up on the floor while they carry the round back to their table! I worked as a barman at a club in a small town in the west midlands for a little while and got sick of arguing with drunk punters demanding I top off their glass beyond the fill line.
A British pint is 568ml, there are glasses of this volume to the top as mentioned here, but there are also oversize glasses for the beers that are metered. The metered pumps deliver exactly half a pint per press of a button, they generally dispense poison which foams like mad and so needs a glass big enough to hold the huge head!
I have dyscalculia, or was 637 just wishful thinking.

I also remember the auto pours being installed at the pub I worked in near Bristol ... I don't think there was one single customer that didn't have to have the glass size explained to them every week.
I never saw an auto-pour in use the whole time I was there - is it a chain-pub thing?
Not really, but it does depend on who's beer you were serving.

All banks and Whitherspoons (the two largest chains) are auto pours.
Heres a couple!
Attachments:
Just come across this while searching for alcohol analyzing equipment... http://www.alac.org.nz/FileLinks/737_calibration_exec.f7c50622.pdf
They used 121 people for that ... not worth the paper it's printed on.
This is starting to remind me of the chip scoop regulation story in the herald :oP

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service