Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

About a dozen pints in as many hours... a fairly safe play but one that sometimes might swing the wrong way. And I had the biggest toad-in-the-hole I'd ever seen, which probably helped.
nah, everyone know's it's all about "The Empire Strikes Back"
The WBC at Hallertau this afternoon. Too much good beer.

Started off with the Hallertau Marzen. Fruity as all hell.

Then lots and lots of quality homebrew. Ordinary bitter, Belgian dubbel, all-Vienna APA, too much to remember.

Then Brett brings out the Westvleteren 12. Supposedly the best beer in the world and on this showing I'd have difficulty arguing. My good God it had everything.

Yeastie Boys PKB off the tank was awesome but could only be a letdown after that. My tastebuds were fried by now. And we still had an amazing pumpkin beer to come. And then I treated myself to a Maximus - "Pint?" the barmaid asked. Why the hell not, thought I. Superb fruitiness and hop punch ensued.

OK, so my Saison rated mid-table. What did I care? I'd had some of the best beers known to man. And now I can hardly focus. All is well. I love you all.
Who won and Lost?
Sounds like a good afternoon with some nice beers. What's the secret to getting the fancy beers at the Auckland events?
It truely was an awesome afternoon, my only few gripes being that I had to drive and that I squeezed it in between lifting heavy boxes, yesterday was far too hot to move house!!

I didnt have enough time to stick around till the end, but I understand Brett (DoubleHoppy) might have been the winner?? If you were, very well deserved too Brett, and congrats on taking away a win on your first WBC ;o)

Im not sure who lost? But apparantly I was pretty close, which sucks, cos I wouldve rather lost and got to pick the next style haha, Saison was definately an interesting pick, everyones beer was dry as a bone, and then some!!
Drinking my Belgian Blonde...

Now that it is settling out, I still think it came out pretty good. However, after drinking some good beers recently, I can taste where I have gone wrong, and hope to figure out how to fix it.

The beer seems to have a bit too much of an "alcohol taste." Phenols? Having said this, I do think adding the oats gave it an unexpected complexity that I do like.

Now just to figure out how to fix the phenol issue...you will probably see something in the homebrewers forum on that.
Reviled's Port Stout.
He generously gave me another bottle late last year, was planning to drink it new years but that didn't happen. Just felt like it tonight.

It's starting to get it's real oxidation on which doesn't harm the experience one bit. It's dusty, but still roasty, tart, vinuous, oily, intoxicating and sensational.

Cheers Tyler. Fucking awesome beer.
Awesome Barry, glad you liked it!! I actually found the oxidisation quite pleasant in this beer as that was the sort of character I was going for by adding the Port.. I still have about 5 bottles left, waiting ever so patiently for the cold winter nights!!
So, following everyone's advice, I tried The Local in Darlington, Interesting neighbourhood, Darlington is.

The pub had some annoying music...However, I am not a kid any more, and have to realise that my tastes in music are not the same as most of the public any more. ;)

I had a few small servings, followed by a tasting board of 5 beers. Here is my synopsis...

1) Hunter Bock...This seemed to be true to style. Had some chocolaty/coffee notes on the nose, and these carried over into the taste as well. the body was a bit more full than I expected, and the beer had more kick than expected for a 5.5%.

2) Mountain Goat Riwaka...This is a Pale Ale, very similar to an American version. The malts were quite 'biscuity', and the beer had a rather citrusy nose. However, it was not very bitter, and it had a medium body. A nice drop.

3) Mad Brewers Orchard Ale...This was probably one of my favourite beers of the night. Lovely apple nose and tastes. Although I like hoppy beers, the hops were nicely balanced against the malts in this beer. The brewer is Mad Shovel, and it was very enjoyable. I would love to have this again, or try to brew it myself.

4) Little Creatures Pale Ale...Certainly tasted like American hops were in there....Cascade? Who knows, but not quite aggressive enough to be Cascade I am guessing. This beer was quite true to style, whilst not being overly bitter. Very satisfying.

5) Taste buds getting a little wasted, so stepping it up a notch...Matilda bay alpha pale ale...Heavy grapefruit nose...definitely more bitter than the little creatures. It kind of felt like it was coating the sides of my tongue. Not bad, especially for an APA, but not my favourite of the night.

6) Feral Double dry hopped razorback...This was a deep red/brown, and quite bitter and fruity. I would have enjoyed this, but it had a hint of turpentine, and overly aggressive phenols. This came in at 11%.

7) Murray's "Shawn's Fault" IBA. WOW!
This was a black India Ale at 7.2%. The nose was a lot like a stout since I could smell the chocolate and coffee. A bit bitter on the finish, a very nice bitter...The hop aroma was very strong. The more I drank this beer, the more I liked it...awesome.

Thank goodness I did some of these beers in smaller volumes, otherwise I would have never walked out of the place.

Some of the beers were damn good, and the staff was quite nice and helpful as well. This has been a good night. :)
Drinking ?
More than was needed for a Thursday night.
A mild as I fired up the bbq and trimmed up the meat - cracker Welly night for a bbq - even calm enough to dine outside without the salad blowing over the fence
A pint of mild as I cooked
Another pint of mild as I ate
I've gotta finish this keg of mild and get the keg of Hallertau / Cascade / Motueka Ale in the fridge
More than was needed for a Thursday night
Is three pints of mild too much for a Thursday?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service