Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've pitched '05 at 15C a few times and not been bothered by the lag time - usually up and running within 24 hours.

That's usually rehydrated @ 27C and then attemperated to close to wort temperature over about an hour
I'm lazy and don't rehydrate my yeast, I may try that and see what my lag time is!
Usually do a bit of a starter with wort for pitching US 05 but yesturday did an experiment and just dumped the packet dry into the fermentor.

It was bubbling this morning so would be about 12 hours lag time, faster than usual I reckon.
I allways just dump the packet in dry, never rehydrate, never any problems (apart from when I brought from Brewcraft in Albany once)
i'd probably go even less.
say 5:1 mot to NS.

NS really does like dominating flavours and aromas.
but ultimately, it depends on the flavour your after.

i like "some" fruity characteristics, and really love the taste mot gives.
too much NS would kill a lager IMO.
At this stage the recipe is (for 75litres)
85% Pils
15% Carapils
30g NS@60
20g NS, 40g Cascade @30
20g NS, 40g Cascade @15
15g NS, 50g Cascade @FO
US-05 @ 15c

I tend to like the fruity characters of Nelson Sauvin, and have used all-NS in a couple of pale ales that tasted great, so keen to see what happens in combination with Cascade.
I use that many hops in my 23 litre batches... ;)
:D I'm almost using that many for my NZPA this weekend. 20L!

Moral of the story is... more hops ;-)
Dude with that much carapils you can quadrupal those hops!!
with that much carapils I'd be looking for at least a 1:1 OG:BU ratio... probably higher.

Sauvin and Cascade is a good mix. Sweet sweat and spice. Or, if you prefer, baby spice and scary spice.
What is it with the CaraPils that you can up the hops by so much?
Light caramalts eg; global light, carpils caramalt, give little of the 'crystal' flavour they give it more of a caramel light sweetness. The sweeter the beer the more bitterness you need to balance it out some what. With the sweetness you can use more end hops to add flavour, think of it like a coffee, bitter when you havnt added sugar the more sugar you use it comes out diffrent every time you add sugar in it, if you know what I mean?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service