Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

CS4 - Sie können meinen Rock oben schauen - German Styled Pils

I've been harping on about my ability to make a pilsener for ages so this time I managed to have one ready and in the keg when it was time for a case swap, it is the one with JP Pils on it.

My apologies to first time case swappers, I normally try to have an awesome label to reduce the "man that's a shit beer" reaction. If that doesn't work I have more excuses. It's bottled from the keg, so enjoy.

80% Pale Malt
10% Munich I (Weyermann)
6% kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
4% Acidulated (Weyermann)
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (60 min) Hops 21.4 IBU
10.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (15 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
15.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
15.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
15.00 gm NZ Cascade [7.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.22 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs WeihenStephen (DCL #W34/70) Yeast-Lager

Views: 217

Replies to This Discussion

Had it last night well made and can drink alot and I mean alot of this beer, enough said!!
Thanks Mike, I have 10 litres of this left for Xmas drinks. I'll hold off on my thoughts until those who wish to comment have had their chance.
First case swapper for me. Lovely bronze colour. Nice aroma - reminds me of a croucher pale for some reason - hints of wheatbix which is what I get there too. Very well brewed, clean and drinkable pils. Cheers, really enjoyed this one
Man, very impressive beer James!! Had this just before, a full pint and then went back to finish the bottle straight away! A little bit sharp in a way when it was cold (4*c), maybe too sweet? I dunno, something wasnt quite perfect at the colder temp, but when it warmed up to say 6-8*c it really opened up! Crisp, clean, beautiful subtle caramel and biscuit notes, slight fruityness on the nose! Yum!!

Awesome beer mate, well brewed!! Again enforcing my love for the 2124 strain ;o)
Well I enjoyed this one, seems to everyone elses first up beer so I thought i'd do it too.
I had a friend around who is a bit of a wine buff (but also likes craft beers) he thought it was was quite aromatic and flavoursome for a pils but I put him straight and said "we homebrewers don't dick around, why would we make flavourless beer when it's so cheap to buy."
Anyway we both thought it was a nice beer and had some depth of flavour and a nice balance. Very tasty.
I recon its about 30 degrees in marlborough today, I have just mashed in an imperial stout and mowed the lawns. these may be factors blurring my judgement but as it is, right now in this moment, this is the best beer i've ever had! refreshing, bold (and beautiful!). I knew I was going to drink this one of these days so I had a hoprocker the other day, this one is much better. much the same but much more flavor. I think this is closer to Sauvin Pils actually. Half a bottle in the extreme thirst have been quenced and to give some constructive feedback: I think there is a tiny bit of diacetyl that makes it a touch to sweet in flavour and probably a bit more attenuation would have been beneficial. close to perfect and man does it go down well! Cheers!
Well my brewing thermometer sitting on the kitchen table is reading 36 degrees at the moment, must be about 90 under my armpits.

Great Beer!

Love the Sauvin bitterness. Perfect carbonation and head. Rounded out a bit as it warmed up. I enjoyed it with bbq'd crayfish, very good match I reckon.

Cheers James!
Hey James, this was my first swap beer. Poured an nice head and a great golden colour. Head went quick. Good carb and a really nice balance of malt/bitterness. Nice lingering bitterness on the tongue. Loved the Sauvin hops in this. What an awesome beer. Thanks heaps
This was my first beer on New Years Eve and I've only just calmed down. Had it after a long day of driving - back to Auckland for a NYE wedding then returning to my summer retreat, Onemana. Got inside, grabbed from fridge, poured and knocked it back.

Poured a slightly hazy golden amber with a soft white head. Darker than I expected.
My mouth was filled with wondrous complex malt, bready and full tasting. Then my mouth was awash with lovely floral and slightly citrussy hops followed by a firm cleansing bitterness and short snappy finish. I instantly required another big gulp. Then another. Then another. I poured some for my father in law, I'm not sure he fully appreciated my supreme sacrifice. I couldn't stop raving about it. He agreed it was a good 'un.

The most pleasing thing about the beer was the mouthfeel and balance. Perfect in every regard: big full flavoured and satisfying, hoppy enough to be interesting, perfect hop character for such a beer, lovely clean dry finish left me wanting more. Much more. I was sad it was all over so quickly.

I'd like to thank Haish for making sure I got the beer after a mix up.

But most of all I'd like to thank James for what for me was hands down the best case swap beer of all 4 case swaps, in fact probably the best homebrewed beer I've ever had if not one of the best beers. It was awesome.

It's made me consider the previously unthinkable - maybe I should try and brew a pilsner.
maybe I should try and brew a pilsner

Yea, but not your usual SO4 for that Barry :-))
Hey James

The good:
Fantastic balance. A little more malt depth than the classic NZ Pilsners, without being overly malty. Bitterness is so well balanced that you hardly even notice it... until you realise you want another mouthfull. It didn't last long. After drinking 10c bitter all day it was a very welcome cool change.

The bad:
I got a touch of butterscotch on the nose, which may be ok for a Bohemian, or an English ale, but clashes with the NZ hops (quite a strawberry note in here for me) of New Zealand Pilsners. I thought I got a little acetic on the very first sniff but it disappeared - I often pick that off lagers with diacetyl, so there is either some sort of relationship there or my wires are crossed somewhere deep inside my olfactory system. Don't take too much from this... as I've told people many times: I'm here to drink beer, not sit around all day sniffing it.

The ugly:
Almost made me want to brew a lager... almost.
And... This was damn good, it totally nailed my number one want from a beer: balance. It made me wonder where the case swap can go from here.

Character match:
Clay Davis from The Wire. This beer is good sheeeeeit.
Thanks for all the feedback so far guys, I am over the moon (think Cheshire cat's smile on steroids) with the positive, and the much needed critical feedback.

It's great that you guys have noticed the diacetyl and I thought there some present but was not 100% sure. None of my family etc picked it up, so having your noses on the job is magnificent.

In particular Stu the acetic I have found in a larger percentage of my beers bottled from keg than I would like to admit. It;s only there for a few seconds / first one or two mouthfuls then it's gone. I thought it was the iodophor reacting with the metal bottle caps (for glass) but now you have noted it in plastic I will take a look at my lines etc just in case there is a gremlin.

Thanks again guys, I've now got the motivation to go and install my automated watering system (too bad it's not an automated beer drinking system)!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service