NZPA

77% Maris Otter
19% Munich
4% Pale Crystal
21 IBU Pacific Jade @ 60
21 IBU Nelson Sauvin @30
7 IBU Riwaka @10
1.2g/L Riwaka @0

Fermented with W1272 for 3 weeks @19°C. Keg conditioned for 3 weeks before bottling.
OG 1.056 - FG 1.010

I hope you all enjoy it! All feedback will be greatly appreciated. Hopefully the labels will stay on the bottles.

Views: 33

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Had this one this evening.
Little astringent and husky to taste, with some citrus notes coming thru from (presumably) the Riwaka.
Finished a little thin for my tastes, but pleasant evening sipping. Cheers
Had this one 2 nights ago.
Beer was amber coloured with a thin quickly disapating white head. Slightly hazy as befitting the name.
Bready malt base with a rich melanoidan malt character coming through, well balanced bitterness.
Short finish, a good clean beer.

For me there was a lack of hop flavour and aroma, the munich shone through so you could easily double the late hops I reckon.

Cheers for dropping off the pils last night mate, feel free to drop by for a beer any time you're up this way.
Thought I would knock another swapper off tonight seeing as it's NYE!

Very little to no carbonation to start and after a hard pour a small white head which doesn't linger. Evident aroma is from the munich which lends a bready / caramel note. The taste is a little like golden syrup and not what I was expecting from an NZ pale ale (not that I know what a NZ pale should be!). Mouth is a little thin, and at the moment I would expect this to be a nice summer thirst quencher just not at the alcohol content stated (mowing the lawn with this one could lead to some funny results). I'm not sure if the grain bill over powers the IBUs stated, but I can not pick up the 48IBU bitterness, in fact it is sweet to me. It reminds me of Krombacher pils a little (sorry I'm the pils weirdo), or even a summer ale (the one with honey).

With my NZ Pale, I had the temperature at 68C to increase body, added carapils and had no munich malt, relying on crystal and brown malts to bring in the colour and flavour.

This beer is very drinkable and will get me in trouble with the missus when I go to bed.... :)

Cheers Haish!
I think this is the beer I'm drinking, the label has come off. first thing that strikes me is that this is fermented with wyeast 1968 but to my suprise its 1272! got that sweet breadyness with the slightest hint of butterscotch that I was sure was 1968. goes to show the variety we can create with the same ingredients! apart from that there is a good malt base, although probably a bit too attenuated, and some nice hoppiness but if I had to improve this, I would give it an extra notch in that department, maybe do 50% extra on the 2 late additions. Nice summer quaffer for sure!
Cheers!
Two unlabeled bottles in my swap case. Has to be this or Rev's mini IPA. I looked at them in the bottle and one was considerably darker - I'm assuming it was this. Anyone remember if this was amber (and the Ode to Tamborine much paler)?
Youll be able to tell by the aroma ;o) Both were quite similair in colour...

How did my brown tape come off? Thats almost impossible ;oP lol
I must say, i'm wondering if I got an odd ball beer.
There was a huge difference in colour between the two bottles I looked at.
The one I tasted last night had this oxisdised melanoiden character that I could have sworn was extract at first... as it warmed up I wasn't so sure.

I guess I'll figure it out tonight or tomorrow when I try the other one!
Definately cant have been my beer, everyones going on about lack of malt character, definately not melanoiden like ;oP lol

Also - You allways seem to get an odd ball beer Stu, the last two case swaps theyve been mine :o( Hoping that this time you didnt, let someone else give you a rogue bottle instead ;o) haha

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service