Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

OK I had a late start as we had people over for lunch (they were delicious thanks) and just finished cleaning up a few minutes ago.

Everything went really well, the mash was a little too hot, I heated 28 litres of water to 70c, added the grains, gave everything a good stir and put the lid on and wrapped it all in a blanket. I checked the temp and it was around 67 after 30 minutes, then down to 65 after an hour, then at 64 when I started the burner for the 90 min boil. The whole mash was supposed to be at 64 so I don't know what effect that will have! So then I pulled the bag out and gave it a bit of a squeeze and put it in a bucket. Figured there was about 25-26 litres left in the kettle so I rinsed the grains in the bucket with enough 78 degree water to bring it up to about 29 litres.

I managed to add the hops at the correct times and had no boil-overs. Added the immersion chiller at the 20 min mark and it chilled down to about 21 in about 20 minutes which I was happy with, and strained the wort into the fermenter thru a colander lined with swiss voile (mesh is a little too fine for this, slow going)

I ended up with 21 litres at 1058 and diluted it to ~23 litres at about 1054. Pitched the yeast (US05) and put water that had been boiled and cooled into the air-lock.

I am happy with the sugar level although it might contain more unfermentables because of the hotter mash. I will update this thread to let you know how the ferment goes.

I enjoyed the process, although I will definitely start earlier next time!

Views: 38

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You'll be sweet mate - 67 is a very fermentable temperature range.
Cool. I was surprised at how high the OG reading was, the wort was at about 22 degrees when I tested it. Will be interesting to see how low the US05 takes it.
Good luck Patrick, welcome to the fold.
Great stuff, once you start drinking your AG homebrew it's impossible to not become a bit of a snob - knowing yours is far superior to most!
WE HAVE FERMENTATION!!

There is a bubble coming out of the airlock about every 15 seconds. The fermenter is on the garage floor under the stairs. The stick-on thermometer is reading 20 degrees. Will this be OK? I am using US05 yeast.

Cheers!
Yup, I usually ferment at 19 - 20 C with that strain. Try and keep it from rising too much though.
My pseudo lager strain when fermented at 16C, as DG said don't let it go too high unless you like overly fruity esters.
Not to stray too far off topic but...

I'm looking at doing some psuedo-lagers in the near future. Anything to watch out for with using 05 for the job? Bigger pitch at that temp? Diacetyl rest? Etc?

Cheers.
Just a regular pitch @ 18C and a couple degrees per day down to your required ferm temp after signs of fermentation. After it's done - a couple days at 20 to kleen it up.
Sulphur @ 16C is evident in the ferment, cleans up in the lager (4 weeks @ 4C, but normally subsides after 2 weeks).

Normally pitch extra yeast, from early days Mr Malty told me 1.5 packets for a 1050 25L batch give or take for smaller / lower OG. I used to be anal and weigh the yeast.... but now I realise that's just another contact point for contamination and an extra 2 minutes I don't need to use!

D rest as per all my pilseners.

The BIGGEST thing to watch out for with using US05 for pseudo lagers, is becoming lazy and not going back to REAL lagers...
"D rest as per all my pilseners"

Do you reckon this is nessecary James? Ive never done a D rest in any of my lagers and havnt had a problem, allthough I do make sure I pitch onto a massive cake at around 10*c
The BIGGEST thing to watch out for with using US05 for pseudo lagers, is becoming lazy and not going back to REAL lagers...

That good eh? :-P

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service