Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70892

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From MoreBeer: 30L Great Western. A British crystal malt that can be used in a variety of beers. Slightly different flavor than American or Belgian Crystal malts. Can be used in recipes calling for British Crystal.
I thought Bairds did a Carastan too, in their crystal type range, though rarely seen it mentioned in NZ

http://www.bairds-malt.co.uk/Roasted.html
I think carastan is closely related to weyermanns carahell. its more malty than carapils but less roasty than light crystal... sort of like a light caramunich...
According to my brewing software carastan is the same as carapils??
Hrm. I think I should have used Crystal 70 in my recipe in the weekend then (attempting to clone Rogue Dead Guy) rather than the carapils I went with (and adjusted to a 90m boil, which I hate doing). The rationale for the carastan in the original clone recipe was for head retention, but I didn't think to factor in the colour change. Plus I'm not a fan of crystal malt except in tiny quantities, and this was 10% of the grist.

Oh, by the way, I appreciate that I can just google it, but I value the opinions and experience of those here, so I guess when I ask "what is it" I should really have gone for "what makes it different in a practical sense". :)
I can not find cocoa nibs in Christchurch, what about straight cocoa powder?

Also thinking of using vanilla syrup instead of vanilla pods...

what do you think of these replacements?
blah blah yuk!! Vanilla Syrup?? give me twenty bucks and I will have 200g of coco nibs to your door.
From a foodie perspective, if you can get vanilla pods use them. Nothing else comes close. You'd just be selling yourself short. Not sure about cocoa nibs though...
Thought as much, the vanilla syrup they use at the local coffee shop from work is F*****G good.

Mike you have a PM...
I've used cocoa powder several times, last 5 minutes of the boil. Get the best quality you can find (I get mine from a chocolate maker in Welly). I did use baker's cocoa once - I could definitely tell a difference between that and the quality stuff.
Thanks Nolen, I was thinking cadbury or similar style cocoa, however Mike has sorted out some cocoa nibs for me!

When I went searching for them the woman in the organic shop stared at me blanky thenasked why I would put them in beer.... at least you guys understand me.
Mmmmm.... chocolate and porter..... mmmmmmm. If you really want to have some fun, throw in a couple of cinnamon quills with the chocolate nibs.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service