Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

OG 1.062
FG 1.016
15.8 SRM
61.9 IBU

4.80 kg ..Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (79.78 %)
0.40 kg .Crystal, Pale (6.59 %)
0.40 kg .Munich I (6.59 %)
0.20 kg .Crystal, Dark (3.37 %)
0.20 kg .Caraamber (3.32 %)
0.02 kg .Chocolate Malt, Pale (0.33 %)

67C Mash.

16.00 gm Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min)
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (10 min)
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (10 min)
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (10 min)
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (Dry)
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (Dry)
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (Dry)

2 Pkgs Safale American Dry Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)Yeast-Ale

Water used is Ca -112, Mg - 18, Na - 11, SO4 - 145, Cl - 50, HCO3 - 110

Keen for any feedback :-) Cheers and beers everyone.

Views: 182

Replies to This Discussion

Meat? Haha...a little autolysis maybe?

Cheer mate :-)
I honestly cant think of a beer I have ever tasted meat in? my question is, is it chicken? as everything tastes like chicken!!! But in all honesty if a beer tasted like meat why am I not craving it in the morning after a few like I crave meat.
I'm not sure about the autolysis, but the burps were a little meaty....

It sounds and is strange. My body is probably rejecting the commie, krishna, hippie meal I had tonight... what do you mean there's no meat.... how can I have any pudding if I don't eat meat!
Oi! Hare Krishna put up the mean feed!

Haha, yeah autolysis is usually more vegemite meat than meat-meat.

Even then, it wasn't in the fermenter long and was bottled from the keg so shouldn't be much yeast left in there to die.

Cock ale anyone?
Oi Oi brother... Krishna the god-child, a prankster even (let's dry hop some salami...)

No vegemite in your beer bra, it's was like steak...... man I wish I had some steak now.....
Autolysis? Dont know what the big thing on here is about!! In my opinion we as homebrewers who drink our beer with 2-4 months will probably never get it, we are more suceptable to get of stressed flavours from the yeast before the yeast has split and leached it guts everywhere!!
If the beer is clean and you have next to no yeast in the botom of the bottle your more than likely to be sweet for quite some time, if you had a shit fermentation your likely tip the beer before the yeast has autolysed. If you think your beer has autolsied in 3 months it not the yeast its your procedure.
Pardon... shit in the fermenter?
Yeah, I think I've only ever come across an autolysed beer once and it was a commercial.
i've come across autolysis many times and it has always been worth coming across. possibly the best example ever was the 8 year old barleywine entered ino the 1st SOBA NHC.... John Golics, instant legend in my mind. I hope to meet him one day, not because he's brewed the one of the best beers I've tasted but because he's held onto it for 8 years and then paid for it to be drunk by other people!!!!

MAD PROPS John Golics... anyone here know him?
I have met John a few times now and been lucky to sample his beers on more than one occassion, including said 8 year old barley wine which at the time of my tasting was actually 10 years old, and it was the last bottle, and it was also the first barleywine I ever drank!!! OMG it was soooo fucking good!! And I could definately smell the marmite aroma strongly but it was awesome!! lol

Most of his beers are damn good really, his 100% peat smoked ale was bloody deceptively drinkable!!

+1 for Mad Props John ;o)
"100% peat smoked ale"

Come again? 100% peat smoked??:) must be a lighter version than the heavily peated distilling malt I have tried, or you have got a really rough palate:)

In any case, I'm intrigued, tell me more!
I tried one from the 2007 NHC that was simply sublime. It was my pick of the beers, for sure. Brewers notes were: "95% heavily peated whisky malt, 5% crystal." I guess that was the same one.... it was like Bowmore as a beer.

I just spotted the barleywine notes when I looked for the peat smoked pale beer, it said "Brewed March 1998" so it was over 9 years old when it was judged.

Two awesome beers - and if he's kept some of his "May 2006" RIS from those same awards I'm sure it'll be pretty stunning by now too.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service