10.00 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
10.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (15 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
10.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.30 %] (15 min) Hops 5.9 IBU

20.00 gm Cascade [6.30 %] (1 min) Hops 0.5 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.30 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
15.00 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU

Dry Hop with Simcoe, Cascade, Columbus

Wyeast 1332 - Norwest Ale

Unfortunately this beer has the worst chill haze (out of the keg at least) of all the beers I have brewed. Oh well, I'm keen to see if my move to a new conventional brew setup changes this.

Views: 38

Replies to This Discussion

Cheers Stu. This was one of my last, full volume BIAB. Not sure if I did any water treatment - if so it would have been 1T of Gypsum or 1T of 5.2 to the full volume - hadn't had any problems with either previously. I'm pretty sure my yeast re-use / starter was the problem here. Onwards and Upwards!
As I expected from the previous comments this is quite murky, but who cares? you don't taste with your eyes, right?
The smell is great. citrus, pine, resins, bit of sweet maltiness. a hint of yeasty character but it very faint. The flavor is good too, very resiny and bitter, the citrus is more subtle and so is the maltiness. It tastes a little muddy but I'm certainly gonna finish it. Fermentation wise, I have done worse with 1332 than this.
This is actually really quite good, too bad with the muddyness, but that probably just a few tweeks away from being history.
Cheers!
Murky as old dishwater, bubbly head but those big softdrink-like bubbles, not the creamy tight-packed type.

BUT, apparently appearances aren't everything. Beer smells wonderful, pine and citrus. And it tastes even better, a good dose of caramel/malty sweetness cuts into a citrussy clean thoroughly American hoppiness/bitterness. It's a touch over carbonated to my taste, but the balance in this beer is exceptional, it's not get right out hop-tastic bitter, it's a perfect bittersweet meld of flavours. As it warms up there's a touch of grating grainy/huskiness, but that just means I need to drink up.

This is a really nice beer, I'm as anal as you can get about appearance, it's great to have a beer that reminds you appearance isn't everything - taste is what matters most.

Cheers!
As usual, I've not read any of the other comments before writing these notes.

Not sure if this is a chill haze, but it's certainly a cloudy beer. Lovely creamy head which persists well down the glass, which is impressive given the haziness.

Aroma is lovely.Piney, citrussy, lovely. Lots of citrus on the palate with a firm background of bitterness. I really like this beer. Positive bitterness, but reasonably balanced. Nice powerful IPA. Good stuff.

Not sure what's caused the cloudiness. That's the only thing I could change.
Mate - I'm reading all these comments... and now I'm thinking I got a dud bottle!

Sorry if I put a downer on the start of your swap mate!
Maybe it was the mude we were in dude....
Not a particularly good experience for me I'm afraid.

Opened it straight from the fridge and it started foaming up the in the bottle. I decanted into a jug and carbonation was obviously high. Poured a glass and got 50% foam, reminded me of my first kegged beer ;-)

Big rocky head on top of a dirty, murky brown beer. Aroma of sweet, green, hoppy, floral, pineneedles with plastic and sulphur. Taste was similar to the aroma with medicinal, plasticy, nailpolish remover & eggy farts. Astringent all the way :-(

Unfortunately I couldn't get past the off flavours enough to appreciate anything about this beer. Three mouthfuls and the rest went down the drain :-(

Sorry Studio1 but that's what I got, not sure what happened there. I'd like to think it was just a bad bottle but those off flavours seem like more that just a bottling issue to me. Looks like I'm the odd one out here though.

Cheers mate.
Pours very hazy with a big head. Tropical fruit aromas, but a yeasty, almost 'green beer' tang too.

Tasty hop flavour follows on from the aroma, with a balancing malt sweetness. \But a definite funkiness in the finish with a rough bitterness.

Some nice moments, but I don't think you quite had your process down on this one.
Pours brown, and cloudy, White head which disappears leaving a thick lacing on the glass.

Fruity aroma. Grapefruit, passion fruit and orange very pleasant. Taste is pretty immense to start. Feels like there is too much happening to begin with. Maybe a little woody caramel in there. Hokken noodles before they f**k your taste buds up.

Leaves a chewy feeling in the mouth. Burps are grassy with pine maybe a little soapy (?).... and more burps so the carbonation is up.

BIAB has been a pain for me with haze. A stepped mash may help out, along with some finings for a couple days and drop to ~0C. Should clear the beer up.

Cheers!
BIAB has been a pain for me with haze. A stepped mash may help out, along with some finings for a couple days and drop to ~0C. Should clear the beer up.

Its gonna help, but I truely think the biggest things to prevent haze with BIAB is mash PH and not squeezing the bag!!! I dont bother with finings anymore and just condition my beers for 2-3 weeks at 4*c, by this time it usually drops fairly bright

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service