Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

OG 1.062
FG 1.016
15.8 SRM
61.9 IBU

4.80 kg ..Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (79.78 %)
0.40 kg .Crystal, Pale (6.59 %)
0.40 kg .Munich I (6.59 %)
0.20 kg .Crystal, Dark (3.37 %)
0.20 kg .Caraamber (3.32 %)
0.02 kg .Chocolate Malt, Pale (0.33 %)

67C Mash.

16.00 gm Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min)
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (10 min)
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (10 min)
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (10 min)
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (Dry)
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (Dry)
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (Dry)

2 Pkgs Safale American Dry Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)Yeast-Ale

Water used is Ca -112, Mg - 18, Na - 11, SO4 - 145, Cl - 50, HCO3 - 110

Keen for any feedback :-) Cheers and beers everyone.

Views: 182

Replies to This Discussion

Luck of the draw would have that I drink this beer first.

Nice clean aroma, initially I thought a slight fermentation issue with a vegetal type of smell - however paying closer attention gives me a herbal pungentness: probably from the Columbus. Quite soft malts back this up, with some further spicyness and hints of citrus.

Nice velvet mouthfeel with soft cloying malt. Hop sharpness cuts through this with some ping from sulphate amplification. Typical US hop flavours finish the beer off with a nice amount of lingerage too.

I cant offer any advise for improvement, as this beer seems to have turned out how you would have expected. Looking through your recipe - I see CaraAmber, and cant say that I picked up on this so much in the flavour of the beer. Maybe using a different yeast strain would have accentuated these malt characters more... however - it's not fully necessary in my opinion.

Good work bro - a nice suprise and a good way to start the swap.

Cheers.
I really like this beer!! Pours a deep copper colour with an aroma of sweaty citrus with hints pf passionfruit and something spicy going on, nice sweet toasty malt flavour backed up by a firm hop flavour and a good juicy bitterness! Yum!!

Cheers
I think the beer I just poured is this one, the label have come of but a quick roll-call in the box tells me I got the right one. Beautiful red copper color, great clarity.
Aroma is first lovely citrus hops but when I swirl it I get some apple. I'm pretty sure this is a bit of aldehyde, although when combined with the citrus and the malt it smells more like sweet pears.
The flavor is initially a nutty, toasty maltiness with a good punch of citrus hoppiness, this gives way to a healthy lingering bitterness and, unfortunately, more of the same green apple/pear that I picked up on the nose.... I think it's aldehyde and it's a shame as it's detracting from what is otherwise a great beer. Never the less, the bottle is empty and I feel good:)

Cheers and thanks for sharing!
Just working my way through this one. Not read any of the other comments.

Pours a lovely reddish copper, light head which fades fairly quickly. Nice and clear.

Aroma quite light, hints of citrus and also some malt coming through.

Nice and balanced, solid malt background with gentle bitterness and juicy hops coming through late. Maybe a fraction more crystal than I would like, but very drinkable. I'd prefer a little less carbonation but then again I'm English!

Great stuff Glenn.
Lovely beer - clean, clear, amber (as the label stated, before it fell off).
Slight huskiness and hop sharpness that is probably amplified by the mineral content. If i was going to make any changes I'd cut that back a little.

This is what Amercian Ambers should be like. Unfortunately they're often chubby and malt-centric (tending German).

And here's a classic anti-MTV video to go with it. These guys tried to stop video killing the radio star but they never stood a chance.

Pours a nice red colour with a foamy head that faded surprisingly quickly given its size. Leave lovely legs on the glass tho.

Didn't pick up a lot in terms of aroma. Working really hard I got a nice american hoppiness but i had to work for it.

Nice malty notes, then a brisk citrus (i'm thinking lemony/gooseberry) bitterness that cleans it up and resonates at the back on the back of the tongue in a way that reminds you you're drinking a beer and makes you want to take another sip.

There's something else going on in the body that I'm guessing is something to do with the water treatment, but since I'm not familiar with what you've done (i guess make it more American water) i can't comment there.

For all the dry hops I don't get a lot on the nose which i find odd and there's a thin-ness that makes me suspect I've got this in less than tip top condition, but its a drinkable beer nonetheless. Now time to read everyone elses comments as i finish the pint. Cheers!
What's with the name Denim? Why 52 when the OG was 62?

Poured a clear, reddish brown with a nice head that slowly disappeared leaving a nice lace. Strong aroma of juicy, sweet US hops. Lots of passionfruit with a hint of citrus. Picking up a light sulphur aroma (burnt matches) but it's well hidden in the hops. Carbonation, body & mouthfeel are perfect. Hops are definitely the main feature of this beer. Bitterness seems weird to me, not what I'm used to. Medium yet strong and lasting loooooong into the finish.

As I finished the bottle I started thinking that maybe the late & dry hopping was a bit much (sounds like blasphemy I now). The hops almost became cloying. If it was me I'd probably pull back a bit on the dry hops.

Great beer denim! Obviously well brewed. I'm glad I didn't enter any American Ales in the NHC this year ;-)

Cheers
"What's with the name Denim?"

Ahhh, old nickname that dates wayback.

"Why 52 when the OG was 62?"

52nd batch :-P

Cheers everyone :-)
piney citrus aroma. Lower aroma than I was expecting, but there's some malt on the nose too.

Great appearance - love the clarity and colour.

Excellent malt/hop balance - bittersweet, with the bready caramel matching the fruity/resiny hop flavour.

And so drinkable! This is what my attempts at amber ale aspire to.

Cheers
pours a delicious, inviting deep crystal amber colour with little head. The aroma is delicious - sweet citrussy & summer fruits - apricots, peaches & nectarines. I want to concentrate it and spread it on double toasted vogels for breakfast with lashings of butter. I think the balance is spot on. I don't think the hops are too much. Carbonation a-ok.

Excellent beer - inspired me to put an amber ale to the top of my list.

How did you fine this???
Fermenter into the fridge overnight, 1/2tsp isinglass into 200mL hot water, isinglass-water mix sat for 30 mins, mix into fermenter, sat for a couple days in fridge, racked to keg, sat for a few more days until I started pouring. Case swap beers were from the middle of the keg.

...I think haha.
Pours a nice Inangahua River copper. Reminds me of jumping from the hydro dam swing bridge just down the road from the bottle lightening into a copper colour river.

Very little off white head. Malt candy type aroma. Very subtle in cold temp, once the beer has warmed up (or you have to go and put daughter number one to bed) the aroma is quite prominent. Tastes a little like sweet vanilla, a little bitterness comes through but the sweetness is still there. Maybe a little orange marmalade. Gives medium body with mouth feel.

A little maple and fruit from the burps and this sound strange, but meat.... and I had a vegetarian meal tonight!!

I'm impressed, and if that is what you can achieve with water additions, I have to sort my shit out. No criticisms from me!

I shall name you the water whisperer......

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service