Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tried one of these on Friday and came to the same conclusion about the effects of bottling.
I here you there Martin!! Like the beers fine just not Gorgeous!!
I had it last week at a tasting.... I thought it was dry und completely underwhelming. It was like a UK brewery attempting a US IPA, and sucking at it.

Stick to what you know, Fullers: the Vintage Ale is unbelieveble.
Oh Yeah its great stuff Ive had all the years on offer now!! Still hard to go past the london Porter as well!!
I think it is probably a nice wee beer over there but what we've got is showing signs of age. Starting to get really nutty and the hops are just spicy and herbal. They've lost their zest.
wow, you guys are tools. Of course it's going to taste just fucking roses at the source. Shit, it ain't rocket science to assume a beer would taste better at the point of origin, but hey, here's some info for you. We live at the arse end of the world so I guess it ain't going to taste as fresh, I mean be respectful that this stuff even makes it down here and stop being so arrogant. I'm all for great brews but short of suckling the pump at your local it's never going to be as great. Rant over.
Be respectful?
Welcome Sean. Please contribute anything you wish to this forum, but I respectfully suggest you begin to practice what you preach.

If importers bring it in and sell it we will drink it and judge it as we see fit. That includes a comparison to how we presume it might have been when fresh from the source or maybe even how we have previously experienced it at the source. If it doesn't stand up it's our right to voice that opinion. Without being called "tools". Back the truck up hoss.
So punk Sean, so punk...

Some beers travel better than others. Those vintage ales kick arse. Though to be thoroughly blunt, without eing disrespectful, the 2000 is way past it's best. Still, it's a great educational beer. I drank the whole bottle and enjoyed hthe lesson in autolysis.
The bottle of Fullers IPA that I had, had an expiry date of 04-11. By that I can assume it was bottled in April this year. It tasted fresh - there was no hint of light strike, oxidation or staling. The malt flavours were explicit, the hop balance was there too... and I still felt ripped off.

It never crossed my mind what it would have been like in the UK - because I didn't give a shit about it. The beer in the bottle was enough to tell me that it was never a good batch, and would be equally as bad on the hand pump in the UK.... well... maybe not - a good dose of Dry Hop in the cask could change the flavour.

But there's no escaping the fact that it's a shitty attempt at making an IPA... I mean honestly - it doesn't even fit into the style guidelines by way of ABV or bitteness.

Give me a Ruination, and I'll tell you what IPA is.
I went out for a few on Tuesday night, Porters at the Malthouse of course along with a couple of Tuatara's - Pilsner & Helles
Started off with Steve's Porter, good, but it wasn't until the second that I really got a taste for it
This years incarnation of PKB wasn't as inspirational as last years - for me anyway - but maybe my expecations killed it off before I even got to the pub
Probably a bad move, but I had the Pils and Helles after the Porters, killing time until the bus was due. Nearly missed the bus as a result.

Been loving the second of the KC clones, the extra crystal rounds it out a bit - keg's tasting good but like the other thrread, bottles not carb'd up yet after 10 plus days.

Well Into the next incarnation of the Blande Ale which is moving towards being a tasty NZ Draught as the ferment tempertaures drop and it gets a little crisper and I start reducing the later hop additions - just a good quaffer. Brewing it again on the weekend

I've been a bit off my last styrian ale, a bit grassy with dry hops - I should really let it condition a bit but I keep trying it - just to check
Just picked up a few for the weekend. Two winter warmers, two hop numbers.
Green Man Whisky Bock (Dec. 2008, 10.3%!)
Green Man Celt
Brew Moon IPA
Epic Pale Ale

Yum. Just letting 'em warming up now
Where'd you get all those HS?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service