Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Looks like a nice little recipe there haish.
That's interesting about the mill adjustment, what type of mill is it?
A crankenstein 2S, 2 roller. I was led to believe the factory setting was ok but had been getting poor efficiency (like 60% - 65%). Changing the gap gave me 80%, run off was a little slower though. No idea what I changed it from and to, but you could slide a bendy fridge magnet through before and now it needs a crank to draw it through.

That recipe was very drinkable last time I brewed it with styrian goldings so hopefully the willamette is ok as a substitute. And I hope there is enough bitterness to counter the increased efficiency. Maybe I need a refractometer so I can adjust on the fly...
The Amarillo Stimulus Package (an American Amber Ale?)

Pale Malt 5 kg
Munich 350 g
Crystal (120l) 200 g
Crystal (40l) 200 g
Pale Chocolate 100 g

Now, anyone have any ideas for hopping? Amarillo & Columbus, but at what times...

(HerrSchnapps)
90, 20, 10, 5, 0. 80% of hops at late additions. 80% IBU to SG
How about:

20g Columbus @ 60
15g Amarillo @ 20, 10, 5, 0

IBU's: 45
Estimated SG: 1.057

And Wyeast 1968 or S-05?
S05, Malt and Hop Opposed to just 1968 Malt and 50g Amarillo and 10g Coloumbus at 10 and do the same as a Dryhop should give you plenty of Hop or more hop the better! still try keep it around 40 45 Ibu though.
Yeah I argued for S-05.
So, how 'bout

15g Columbus @ 60
10g Columbus @ 10
30g Amarillo @ 10
10g Amarillo @ 20, 5, 0
10g Columbus @ 0

Bye-bye Amarillo.... :(

(HerrSchnapps)
Nice!!
Will be nice, similar grist to my amber.

I got for about 1.060 1:1 IBU:OG, and 60g hops in the last ten minutes. Very good drop I recks.
Sweet, I'm looking forward to it. We also managed to drink the last of the case swap beers while we were at it. We felt pretty confident with the hopping schedule after drinking your American Rye Amber :) Mmmm.
Yip if you want Hops you do have to use them!! If your not happy with the level of hopping there is only one thing to do!! and thats Increase 15-0 additions and dry hopping and also keeping the hops in contact (suspension) with the wort constantly
I have said this before, Mike you are a hop whore....

My APA from saturday was:
10.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.7 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
15.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 5.2 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (5 min) Hops 4.7 IBU
30.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
30.00 gm Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

I have it fermenting in my office in the house and it has filled the room (and seeping into the hallway) of an awesome hop aroma! My wife caught me sniffing the airlock..... again....

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service