Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol, cheers :o) I feel way better now...

But might try dropping the mash temp a tad next time and see where it gets me...
Definitely let taste be your guide. Unless you're entering a comp judged by highly attuned palettes, no-one will be able to tell the attenuation was low - other than it'll be sweet. I am not at all concerned about FG, if it's up around 1.020, so what. I'm entering a robust porter that finished way high (1.019 from 1.058) just to see what feedback I get. It tastes fine, but is definitely on the sweet side.
Obviously in the pursuit to brew the best beer you can, you want to dial that stuff in. But it's not like you're not gonna drink it anyway eh.
S-04 is a good attenuator and fast fermenter. I did an ESB with it 2 weeks ago that went from 1.062 to 1.014 in 4 days, fermented at 17 degrees.

Brewing to taste is what its all about...
Lots happening this week so jobs get fitted in where I can so measured out the grain for the weekend last night.
76% Pale
10% Munich
1% Pale Chocolate (I'm beginning to love this grain)
2% Chocolate (I like this more now I'm using it with some pale choc)
4% Carahell
7% Medium Crystal
1.040 and 28BU of cascade and current yeast of choice W1275
Knocked up a dunkelweizen in the weekend and ive got an emersons dunkelweiss yeast starter cranking at the moment... This is my recipe,

2kg Wheat Malt
1kg Pilsner
1kg Munich
250 grams Carawheat
200 grams Chocolate

60 min hops : 15grams Hallertau
15 min hops : 10grams Hallertau, 10 grams Saaz
Anyone have a clone recipe for Boddington's?... other than the one printed in "Beer Glorious Beer".

Also, still looking for a Gluten-Free Recipe as well, in case anyone knows...please share.
Thanks!
There's an old discussion here http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7281 on Boddingtons
Hefeweizen tonight...

3kg wheat
1.5kg pilsner

14g Hallertau 60 mins
14g Hallertau 15 mins

W3068 fermented at 17^oC

1.047 OG and 14 IBU
Kit and kilo brew? What brand?

I don't think a Munich lager is an actual style, but it might be something like this.

Good luck in your brewing adventures, keep us updated!

Oh, and unless you've got some good temperature control you'll get some more satisfying results brewing ales, they're also a lot easier and more forgiving.
Your Shout is a Brewcraft supplied HBS, so I think the malt is originally a muntons? Flavours from this K&K are better than mega swill even with the kit yeast, however as per "enhancing your beer" matures extremely well with hop additions and better quality yeasts (Saflager 23 or Saflager 34/70 controlled temp).
Yes keep your packaging (I rip the label off the can, and keep it for my records writing all the different things on it, like additional hops, grains, yeasts, temperature, starting and final gravity, alcohol % etc etc etc)

Your shout is a good start, I still get some kits from Paul when I want to make a quick batch. There is a lot of information on this forum about suppliers so have a search around the different threads.

Mega swill is borrowed from the aussie's referring to commercially brewed bland beer like DB draught.
MegaSwill is just mass produced drink.

Think, Steinlager, Lion Red, Speights - stuff like that, generally tasteless, sweet, not bitter, easy drinking and cheap.

I haven't had three boys golden ale but I wouldn't think it would be swill.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service