Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi there.
I am passionate about beer and have just started to brew my own beer, I have just finished my first 2 exract brews, and have caught the bug.
I am realy wanting to get into All grain. I have read all the internet info I can find, all of it quite technical but not daughting but would love to here from fellow brewers on the best and most effective way to start my own all grain home brew setup from purchasing grains to drinking all info would be appriciated.

Views: 1296

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds good, be good to see some ChCh people considering I missed the Wigram trip. I'm nervous but keen about trying it out. Just got to sort out a pot/burner and then its off to spotlight and into the big league!
Hey Herr Schnapps,

I bought a 40l aluminium pot at Southern Hospitality for $150ish. I got a 3 ring burner and a low pressure regulator at Bunnings for ~$70. Both are featured in my profile pic.

I can bring them along to a BIAB event if you guys fancy but it'll be a few weeks before I'm free unfortunately.
40l aluminium pot at Southern Hospitality for $150ish

Not a bad price, I think there is a guy on TradeMe also doing them, maybe fractionally cheaper. (I also have a slightly damaged 50l keg to use now.)

But i'll go to Bunnings for the burner! :)
I just bought the 41L stainless-steel pot for $108 ($83 + $25 shipping) off Trademe. He also offers a 50L aluminium for $77. Might as well put my student loan to good use...

I'll be going to Bunnings soon for a burner, and spotlight for the fabric. Not sure how I'm going to sew the bag up though...
Let me know if you need a hand sewing up the bag, as I'll talk nicely to my outlaw mother to borrow the sewing machine.
A 3 ring at BBQ factory is $49.95, so any less than that and youre all good... If you got it for $50 with the regulator off trade me that would = Win!
Thought I Might try this one out for my first you guys got any tips or changes you reacon i should make before brewing, its my take of The Dark Pilsner Urquell I drunk alot of in Prague.

2.4kgs of Pils
2.4kgs of Munich
.5 kgs of Crystal
.2 of black Patent
40g of saaz @ 60
25 of Saaz @ 30
25 of Saaz @ 15

Unsure of which yeast?
What you think give it a go?
Looks good Mike. But if you want a beginners opinion, start with an ale or even a porter or stout, if you like them. Reason being, pilseners can be a little fickle, especially the lager yeasts. They can be a little unforgiving. Whereas an ale or even a darker beer, are easier. Having said that I did a lager (extract), but that was a fuck up too. I have just put down my first all grain pilsener, but I am a little more comfortable with the process now and I intend to lager it for a good couple of months, in time for summer.

Going all grain, I can not emphasize enough, the advantages of getting a liquid yeast starter. I know some guys will disagree with me and say they do fine with dry yeasts. But the truth is they will never be as good as a liquid yeast and the liquid yeasts bring out so much more in the beer. The view I take is, if I am going to spend all that time doing an all grain brew, I want to give it the best start possible, that means liquid yeast.

But if you are set on a pilsener/lager, go for it. Use a good liquid lager yeast if you can, and pitch it properly, you'll be fine.

Good luck!
I agree with the above.

If you've brewed lagers before then it might be worth a shot. Going from boiling to lager fermentation temp with no chiller might be a little tough.

Personally, I'd go for American Pale or Amber, English bitter or mild/brown/porter. Something forgiving.

English bitters are good, you can shoot for a special bitter and if there are any large swings in efficency then you're still in range for an ordinary or extra special bitter, just adjust hopping rates accordingly on the day.

What about your extract recipes? If you're drinking one at the moment and like it, try converting it to AG and brewing that. A little boring brewing the same beer twice within a short amount of time but you've got a recipe that you know you will like and can compare AG to extract and see the differences.

If you're set on brewing the lager go for the yeast the WhiteLabs and WYeast sell as there pilsner urquell strain, at a guess (and not having had the beer) I'd say that would be the correct yeast to use.

Another way you could go is to make a hybrid kinda beer, make the recipe with SafAle US05 or WLP029 GermanAle/Kolsch and ferment as cold as possible and expect it to be a little fruity, something like a dark blonde :-P

And the end of the day if you make it, it will be beer and will be better than half the tripe on the supermarket shelves.
What about your extract recipes? If you're drinking one at the moment and like it, try converting it to AG and brewing that

I've got to agree here.
Start with a recipe you know and enjoy. Convert it to grain and brew that.
Then you have a known starting point and a direct comparison.
You also have a proven recipe rather than giving yourself the opportunity to brew somehing that might be outa whack or you might not like, regardless of how good it is.
Have you guys got any recipe suggestions for an APA or something along those line no ordianry bitters though.
Mate, there is an entire thread called- what are you brewing?

guys have posted hundreds of recipes on there and others have commented on them. That's the place to look.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service