Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

In case the title didn't give it away, there's 3 beers from me in one swap. It's mystery meat Monday!

Ok, some of you might think that's rich, probably more will think it's cheap.
But It is what it is, I filled bottles til one keg ran out, then another, then another. This swap cleaned out my keg fridge! So I don't wanna hear any ingratitude, ok fella?
Fact is organisation isn't my theme this year. I have not a one NHC entry this year either, hows that?

Beer #1, Classic New Zealand Draught (yeah right). Recipe here.

OG 1.040, FG 1.008

Beer #2 Pacific Mild Ale. Finely honed recipe that scored a Gold Medal, Best In Class, three way tie for Best In Show at the SOBA Nationals 2 years ago. Perhaps should be renamed "Oh How The Mighty Have Fallen mild".
3.4 kg Maris Otter
230gm Pale Crystal
230gm Dark Crystal
120gm Pale Chocolate

EKG's:
30gm @ 60min
15gm @ 5min

S04

OG 1.039
FG.1.011

Beer #3 Centenniale II - American Pale Ale
5.6kg Maris Otter
500gm Munich
300gm Pale Crystal

40gm Pacifica @ 60min
5gm Pacifica, 5gm Centennial @ 30min
5gm Pacifica, 10gm Centennial @ 15min
5gm Pacifica, 15gm Centennial @ 5min
20gm Centennial @ flameout

Wyeast American Ale II

OG 1.058, FG 1.015. Little bit fat, but then what American isn't?

Booyaa.

Views: 99

Replies to This Discussion

Should point out right now - all bottled from the keg. Pour liberally, directly into mouth if desired.
I hope I get beer 3.
I'm hoping for 1 or 2. i hope we both get what we want...
Barry always makes the swap interesting, it's like a lucky dip :D
Personally I'm hoping for 2 or 3.
I got a #2

I'll tell you what... I'm starting to think there is something valid in brewing beers like this. I had some M'Lord this weekend - something that I would never be able to get in New Plymouth... and it was actually pretty damn good. Not that there are many parallels between that and this... other than they are both Mild.

Well - it cranks out the S-04 aroma that is so hard to get away from, but I wont fault this for it. Oh no... simply becaue Barry has done a great job in making that grassy EKG layer the 'Erbal S-04 into a pretty satisfying aroma. It's slightly phenolic on the nose too - which again leans towards that grassy herbal aroma going on in there. Sprinkle in some nutty malt - and you have a marriage of sweet, nutty, hoppy Mild Ale.

The flavour is where it;s at though. Nice sweet nutty malt with good crystal sweetness.. sort of cloying that thinner palate out to finish balanced. Not bitter at all - which works... obviously... otherwise I wouldn't say it was balanced. No faults that I can pick out - not as though was looking for any... I spent most of my time figuring out whether I had 1, 2 or 3!

Cheers Barry - You da Man!
I got a #1, even tho I was expecting a #3 :( lol, oh well...

Its a really clean, malty beer with a caramel aroma and sweet finish, really quaffable and a good example of what mega-swill brewerys should be brewing! Id go to pubs more often if something like this was on tap everywhere!

Cheers ;o)
aw crap man, I was sure that one was a 3 :(
Nother one on tap right now if you wanna come up for a pint.

Cheers Joseph, "phenolic" sounded a little worrying but I'm glad you came round in the end :)

Be seeing you Friday for something much hoppier.
Got the NZD, the one I was hoping for actually.

Very subtle aroma, even with the small additions that styrian fruitiness comes through. Nice malt character, some of that nice Maris/toast combo fatness, some good caramel too.

Again subtle in flavour, a little sweeter than balanced, nice dry-with-a-touch-of-bitterness, clean finish, a pleasant grainy flavour, a little 'tea' character form the styrians. Actually quite a complex little beer.

Very clear, golden amber body, good head and retention, medium-thin body, medium-low carb.

This is a fucking tasty beer bro, props!
Sundays mystery meat was the NZD for me.

A tasty wee drop to watch the league with and feel like i was at Mt Smart but being served a much better beer than Lion Red.

Wheatbix and digestive biscuits, a wee bit of toast. Nice and crisp and clean in the palate.

If only all NZ Draughts tasted this good i might not have moved on to CB.

Cheers
I got a #3... Murphy's Law.

Bright, gold and a cask-style in its carbonation. Mild nose of honey and herb, good malt prescence throughout, with a steely hop flavour and a bloody fine bitter finish. Perfectly balanced. A very nice "American-styled English Pale Ale".

A little acetyldehyde had me thinking it was S04 but there was certainly a slight flabbiness that wasn't in keeping with that yeast. On seeing your recipe I wonder if the 1272 from Steam was a little past its best.

The beer has American blood and an English heart.

Couldn't find Moz doing this song that sprung to mind (after "You're the one for me fatty"), so here's Christy Moore and Declan Scott covering it.

After confirming I was drinking yours (I will name you Barry Blue Ring from now on!) I got stuck into the second glass of #2 I think.

Pours with a red tint. Poured hard to get a thin white head which whisked away to reveal more redness. Lacing is very minimal.
Smells a little smoky, maybe of marmite and grass with some sweetness like dates. There seems to be a taste of golden syrup on the tongue, a little tart with residual sweetness.

The one thing I found the hardest was that it is quite sweet but I'm not sure I would change anything about the beer. Besides I'd probably try to make it into a pilsner.... :)

Cheers Barry, made my the racking of my beer to keg so much more fun!
Enjoyed a bottle of #3 last night.

sweet fruit aroma of mandarin, honey, and candy. A hint of apple too. Very clear with a long-lasting head. Nice mouthfeel upfront, with tasty malt - more honey and some melon notes too. A little bit thin in the finish maybe, with a touch of yeast funkiness. Tasty and sessionable. Cheers Barry.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service