Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Hi guys, long time browser, first time poster.  I have been looking into getting myself a twin keg, beer gas setup.  Ive got a fridge just big enough to hold two 19L corny kegs but obviously don't want to run into problems refilling the appropriate gas bottle.  I have been looking at a couple of options:

http://www.brewcraft.com.au/wawcs0141821/beer_keg_system.html

I am pretty sure that this is the option available at Brewers Coop and I would prefer to give Mike my business but I will need to sort out a regulator for NO2 (will I?) and also get a gas bottle.

http://kegresources.co.nz/keg01/products/kegerator-kits.html

This sounds like a good setup, pretty much the same as the Brewcraft one but I can opt out of the CO2 regulator and get a Nitrogen one for about an extra $90.  Would this be sufficient to run a beer gas setup or would I need a different bottle?

Thanks for any help you can offer, I'm based in Pakuranga, Auckland and would prefer not to have to travel out of Auckland to refill my gas bottle although that shouldn't be a problem.  If anyone can give me any more advice I would appreciate it, the setup is looking like it will cost around $950 if I upgrade the regulator and the CO2 is still suitable to use.

Cheers,

Pommy

Views: 4993

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That first kit will be the same on that Mike's selling.

It comes with a CO2 regulator.  You'll only need a beergas (nitrogen, CO2 mix) regulator if you're wanting pour stouts like Guinness.  You'll only need a NO2 regulator if you want to perform dentistry or give yourself the giggles ;-)

You may need another bottle but would be best to get the specs on that one and ask the company you're planning on using to what bottle you'd need.

Are you looking at getting a setup to pour mainly nitrogenated stouts etc?  Or a for a wide range of beers?

Also there's some good deals on taps and regulators on trademe as well.  So you could go that route and get your reco kegs from Mike or Liberty Brewing.

$950 is a heck of a lot of money to pay for a couple of kegs!

Try this combo, and you'll more than likely save yourelf heaps.

2 kegs delivered from www.libertybrewing.co.nz $190

4 Couplings from www.brewerscoop.co.nz $80

10 Meters of line from www.blackwoodspaykels.co.nz $40

CO2 Regulator from http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Food-beverage/Other-beverages/... $75

Beer Picnic Tap from http://www.lancerbeverage.com/ $25

Finally hire a CO2 bottle from BOC for $12.50 per month.

That's less than half as much (CO2 additional). You can get the full through door tap setups from lancer beverage too.

Happy hunting mate.

Along the same lines, any idea where I'd get a replacement low-pressure gauge for my reg? Twisted one of mine and now it just won't read properly...

They can be quite dear vDog... I'd start looking around Blackwoods, they are pretty good. The gear they sell is pretty good quality.
Norgen?
Just in case anyone else is in need of a similar thing, I found what I was looking for at CPS in Auckland - product detail is here: http://www.cps.co.nz/Product_Detail_14.aspx?ProductId=205. Very reasonable price and the guy (Gary) was great to deal with - all sorted over the phone in about 5min and should get it tomorrow. Looking forward to being able to use both gas outlets again!
Holy shit that is an epic deal! That's all you need? Boom-tang I'm there once I get my next bit of pocket money!
Maybe some John Guest line fittings... but they're only a couple bucks each, and youd only need 3 at most.

Call the guys at Pressure Check cylinder testing in Grey Lynn (Westmoreland St) if you want a reconditioned CO2 bottle including a fill of food-grade CO2 - they do them for about $200 if memory serves. Myself and a few others use those and never had a problem. Refills of gas for a 3.5kg bottle are around $10 and you should only need to do that once or twice a year.

Thanks for the tips guys.  So deimglen, I can run beergas through a CO2 regulator or is it something ion between CO2 and NO2?  I know its a mix of the two gasses but can I just fill up with beer gas and run through the basic CO2 rig?  I enjoy the British smoothflow bitters and enjoy stouts as well so they are probably the most popular but by no means is that exclusive.  It would be great if I could use beergas through winter and normal CO2 throughout summer,  I can always bottle the lagers and other ales that I don't want served on nitrogen.  Thanks for the hot tips there Joking and vdog.  Definitely would rather buy since I should still have a good 50 years of brewing but thanks for the tip.  Is it possible to choose between CO2 and beergas with the same setup since that would save me a lot of procrastinating.  Certainly got some more hunting and research to do!

Cheers,

Pommy

Personally I think nitro is interesting but I'd never have it as my stock setup. You can get smooth creamy beers with CO2

Bottle from Pressure Check in Grey Lynn (as mentioned above - my little gift to the realbeer community) is the way to go if you want to buy. $200 cash, $10 refills. CANNOT beat that. He may even do cellarmix (CO2/nitro)? definitely worth asking. Nice guy.

The bloke in Grey Lynn charges $250 now for the Co2 cylinder, which is still cheap as! He does co2 and nitro mix, but youd have to tell him what percentage I guess? May pay to find out first - Also youd either need to prime your kegs with sugar and serve with the nitro mix, or get two cylinders, one for carbonating and one with the cellar mix for serving!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service