Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Okay so probably the boringest beer in the box, but hey, I wanted something pretty quaffable (and this was my 9th all-grain brew). The recipe is a slightly modified John Palmer brown ale one. I think it's probably a bit too "roasty" for a brown ale... My efficiency this time was really high, so it's stronger than it was meant to be!

Kingsland Brown II
10-C American Brown Ale
Author: Stu
Date: 25/09/10

Size: 26.51 L
Efficiency: 91.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 188.22 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.057 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.016)
Color: 40.07 (18.0 - 35.0)
Alcohol: 5.56% (4.3% - 6.2%)
Bitterness: 32.2 (20.0 - 40.0)

Ingredients:
4.8 kg Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
0.65 kg Crystal Malt 60°L
.16 kg Chocolate
16.0 g Imperial Nugget (12.2%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
19.0 g NZ Willamette (6.4%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
19.0 g NZ Willamette (6.4%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1.0 tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
1.0 tsp Finings Gelatin - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 ea WYeast 1272 American Ale II
12.0 g NZ Willamette (6.5%) - added dry to primary fermenter
12.0 g Amarillo (8.2%) - added dry to primary fermenter

Strike: 69.51 °C; Target: 67.0 °C

Views: 53

Replies to This Discussion

Been nursing this for the past two hours and the flavors are just getting better all the time.

Appearance
Deep brown with a redish tint a little less bright than a filtered example would be, but good for bottle conditioned. Good head with tight small bubbles.

Aroma
Sticky toffee nose with a little alcohol but the sweet smell dominating. No hops disernable.

Taste
Malty but a little thin in flavor. Well balanced but finished too soon. No off falvors and a light bitter finish.

Mouthfeel
Good, light and smooth all the way down. No lingering stickyness.

Really nice brew this one. Maybe a little light in the taste finish but a good one allround. Could definitely do one or two more. Nicely done.
Cheers Simon, great feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
I wish I had your self restraint Simon to nurse a beer for two hours...20 mins is usually my max!!
It's a bit out of character for me being a 2 pints an hour man usually :o)
Not too roasty at all. Quite well balanced with some clean yeast esters coming through. Some small hop compliments on the nose also. The palate is balanced, could do with a little more bitterness to my tastes, but makes for a great quaffing beer - even for its strength.

Overall a great effort and a very well brewed and fermented beer - give yourself a pat on the back.

Cheers.
Sweet, been writing up some feedback in my note book, taking my time to get through all the beers so apologies for that - This was my first CS6 beer!

Pours brown, literally brown, with a compact tan head which stuck around for ages!! Chocolate and coffee on the nose, couldnt pick up any fruity hop aroma, maybe a bit of earthyness? Smooth creamy mouthfeel, more chocolate with a hint of coffee in the finish. Really well balanced, but probably too much so to be an American Brown ;o) haha Dont let that take anything away from it tho bro, very nice beer!
All good! Glad you enjoyed it!
Another beer that I had a couple of weeks ago but was too focussed on back-to-back trips away to get around to typing up my notes...

I had writted down: "Cocoa, caramel, fruity coffee, moderate bitterness". I guess I was going to wing the rest that night, or the next, or the next... while it was reasonably fresh in my mind. Now it's two weeks later. I remember it being clean, well attenuated, very drinkable. And I distinctly remember that I only had two more case swap beers to go and every single one of them had made me feel very sheepish about sending my one in! (more on that later). It's a battle to stay stocked up with enough beer of one kind, to get a decent beer into any of the last few case swaps. My good ones, or at least the most interesting ones, tend to get sucked into tastings where I've got my Yeastie/Eastie hat on. My goal now, must be to dedicate a brew day before Christmas to making a decent beer for the next case swap... (and leave the "dregs" beers for my brother's visits).
Hah cheers Stu!
Pours a deep brown with a compact, off-white head. Hints of coffee and chocolate on the nose and pepper from the hops. Clean, restrained malt profile, well fermented and attenuated. A very drinkable beer, looks like you achieved your aim of a quaffable beer. I disagree that its too roasty to be a brown, if anything it needs a bit more malt backbone - some darker crystal or brown/biscuit malt and a few more hops to balance, but that would take it away from your aim. Nice beer, thanks for sharing it in the swap.
I'll 2nd Haish's comments to save my wee hands.I agree
Cheers guys, glad you enjoyed it!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service