Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree. I like 1968 (in fact it's in the fridge waiting for my next series of Ordinaries) but I think it tends to accentuate the malt.

Keep an eye on the diacetyl too. It definitely needs a rest, and might benefit from a little rousing. Mind you, don't we all.
Not normally in the mornings though Martin.
That's what she said
I am fermenting an ale with 1968 for the first time. Fermenting at 19C. It has been bubbling for a bit longer than a day. Not sure when to start the d-rest and at what temp and for how long.

Any ideas
When the fermentation is around 2/3rds complete, I'd ramp up the temp to 20 for a day, then 21 until complete. I do this with 1968 and get excellent results. It's one of my favourite yeasts, but is unforgiving if you miss the d-rest! :)
I do pretty much the same, fermentation temp + about 2 degress when I see the krausen starting to fall.

Have never had any diacetyl problems with that yeast doing a rest like that.
I did an English IPA with 1968, 1.061 to 1.014 with a 66C mash, 76% apparent attenuation.
Good "Summer" for brewing in Wellington.
I filled my fermenter last weekend with a "Dry Stout"... it's quite heavy so moving it is hard work at the best of times, let alone with a sore back. I just decided to leave it outside with the intention of moving into a shady spot indoors if it got too warm... the southerly kept the temperature spot on, fermenting away at 16-18c. Ugly ugly beer though!!! Can't wait to see waht the judges say at the WBC ;-)

Next week is shaping up the same, so a Sunday brewday should be perfect. Hmmm... what to brew???? Maybe this.
sore back

maybe you need the fermenter on casters Stu - or one of those stairclimber arrangements to get it over the door step ?
This weekend: James' blonde ale part deux:

3.5kg NZ pils
1kg MO
.5kg Torrified Wheat
25g NZ cascade @ 60
20g NZ cascade @ 15
15g NZ cascade @ 0
US05 Yeast

90 min mash, 90 min boil.

What mash temp do you reckon - 66C?
Went well - no dramas, ended up having to add water at the end which was annoying after nailing my volumes last time. Got 23L at 1040, have it sitting in the kettle of cold water with the towel draped over it, should sit at around 20 hopefully.
Just brewing an APA as we speak and did my first sparge with a braided hose in the chilly bin. Man it was soooooo slow after an hour of sparging and only getting 15L I went back to the good old bucket with lots of holes drilled in it.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service