Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I would like to provoke the discussion on this topic, although it has been raised on here before, to try and find out the real costs around the country and see where the value for money drinks really are. And who is actually ripping the customer off. I will start with Speights Alehouse who charge $6.80 for a 400ml 'pint' which equates to $9.66 a true pint (568ml). So take your measuring jugs to the bars, then when your mates moan about the cost of real ales point this out to them!

Views: 1437

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Christian, I think I love you.
i'm quite curious to see what my local bars charge,i'm pretty sure the oak brewpub in arrowtown serves pints for which they charge $7-8 or $6-7 if your a local,meanwhile the local db pub owned by a chain called goodbars charges about $6.50 for a beer (could be wrong,its been quite a while since i've been in),not sure what size but if i go in again i'll check,
i,d bet theres a huge variation in queenstown as well
Recent bit of research presented to us at work.For New Zealanders, 'price' is 2-times more important in our purchasing decisions than Australians and Americans, and 3-times more important than the Brits.

So quite clearly, we are a bunch of tight-arses.
Well we don't have the spending power they have. That's for sure!
Is that why none of our banks went under?
My point is that yeah price is important for Kiwis, so thats why they go where the price is low, but the volume they get for that price may also be low, as in the SAH, hence in real terms they are paying more for what I would term as lower class beer!
Your Speight's example isn't neccesarily bad value relative to a pint when you consider that generally the same amount of handling applies to 400ml vs an imperial pint. The key is that that consumer is not given the impression that it is a true pint if it is not - the problem being that in NZ the term 'pint' is used loosely and is shorthand for 'give me a reasonable sized beer 'cos I'm thirsty'. Still, the consumer should be able to have a rough idea of the volume they're being served at a particular establishment.
Scanning the paper this morning, I found the "right" answer to this problem - strangely enough, from the fish and chip sellers.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/3760302/With-chips-scoo...

No regulation required, just a voluntary cooperative standard which shops can advertise they comply with. There's the way forward, I reckon. Someone start it, come up with a logo you can display and a blurb to go with it explaining the measure, and let the market decide if that's what they want or not. :)
Would something like this work? Not sure but would be better than what we have. My feelings would say that most outlets that are actually making money out of selling less for more would not volunteer to tell you. Maybe SOBA could take up this issue?
Maybe a sticker with the SOBA logo and something underneath saying 'Real (insert measure here) served here'.

I'm sure there's quite a few of us that would be willing to go out and do the 'research' and distribute stickers :-P

Put the SOBA website on it linking to a page containing some info - would help get the word out for SOBA as well.
Most bars in NZ try and fill to the brim anyways, pouring away the head until the beer is literally overflowing into the drip tray... Pisses me off
Just going to throw another scenario into the mix. You go to fill up your car with fuel, BP will give you 40 litres for $80, Caltex down the road will give you 36 litres for $85. They both advertise their fuel as $2 per measure, but dont tell you the measure size. How would you feel?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service