Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

With the cold snap in Auckland in the last few days, I was worried about the temperature of my fermenter (currently fermenting an IPA using US05)

I checked it at about 7am this morning and the stick-on thermometer was reading 16 degrees. It may have been even colder during the night.

I think I will build a fermentation chamber this weekend, I have a few designs in mind and I have access to a can of expanding foam and a bale of Expol under-floor insulation panels.

What should I use to add heat? I know some people use a lightbulb but I am worried this may adversely affect the beer.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Patrick

Views: 138

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just get a heat belt or pad to put in your chamber. You don't have to wrap the fermenter with it if it's going inthe chamber - the heat will still get to the brew... I never apply direct heat to the brew. A light bulb can be dangerous... and they are harder to wire up.
This man speaks the truth.

You're right Patrick, a light bulb isn't a great idea - it would be ok If you used one of those lights they use in lizard enclosures and stuff that only give off heat and no light, but with the price of a heat pad/belt and the added safety as Jo mentions I'd go for that.

If you're making a chamber I'd also suggest looking for a cheap thermostat unit to go with it - but I still wouldn't apply direct heat.
What about an old single electric blanket?
Yep they work! :) As long as you have temperature control you can set and forget (as in probe in the wort).
Just to put my 2 cents in... I used an insulated box with thermostat and light bulb for years with no detrimental effects at all. I would still be using it but my keg doesn't fit in it...
Haha you Aucklanders.... 16 degrees is NOT a cold snap!
I'm from Dunedin, and I just moved up here. This is balmy!
Put it in the bath with the bath water at 18-19C and leave it overnight.
I reckon the beer would still turn out ok at 16. In Welly it has been cold, and I have not bothered putting any heat under my current beer.
Yep, I'd agree there Michael.
Got a fermenter sitting on the concrete garage floor is running at 17C and I'm happy with that - might take a few days more than if it was at 19C - but what the heck I'm not pumping it out for a living

hell, we spend half our brewing lives trying to keep the cool the damned stuff down ????
S05 likes 16C, just ferment it out another couple of days!
I agree. I'd still try to get the temp up toward the end though just to make sure it finishes the job nicely. I always make sure it finishes at least at the temp that it started at. Usually around 3deg higher though.
I agree.

i'm planning a psuedo lager with '05 for this cool season - at ambient garage temperatures.
Might be in double figures, unlike siberia um, the northern end of the Hutt, just got to watch out for the wind chill factor;-)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service