Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Anyone know what this is?

It's growing in my 2nd fermenter - no off odours or flavours from the beer below.

I'd like to keep resting it for another week or so - or is that a bad idea.

Views: 27

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i've got no idea what that is but it looks like some kind of funky infection to be honest. if it is the batch is probably lost but if it still tastes good, getting it cooled down (and drunk) as fast as possible would probably be advised. are you kegging or bottling?
Bottling. Will do so tomorrow.

Pity - I've got a stack of Amarillo in there that would have come on nicely over the next week or so.
Looks pretty bad to me. I've read that in some scenarios (mold?), you can skim off the nasty bits and the beer should OK as long as it tastes OK. Personally I'd tip it out and move on.

What sanitiser do you use? Get some starsan if you haven't already.
Looks like you might have brewed yourself a flanders red: link

That's a pellicle from some kind of wild yeast - I'll defer identification to those with more knowledge on the subject.
That's looks like it.

Maybe I should keep growing it and see if it'll climb out of the fermenter on its own.
hell Barry, some of those pics look like something off a slideshow they showed us a school when I was about 14.
I know! Man after seeing it like that in the fermenter I'd really struggle raising the first pint to my lips eh.
A closer image.
Attachments:
I've had that before - it tasted alright so it went into the keg and was a good beer.

I'd be VERY careful bottling this batch. Some wild yeasts will continue to ferment higher sugars slowly over time that normal sacc yeast can't, this can lead to bottle bombs, so be careful with those bottles.
Did you hear a thump in the night, looks like the Big Bang and a lot of galaxies far far away.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service