Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94610

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I hope the Case Swapees don't mind me experimenting on them like this!

Hahaha my Missmash beer from the weekend destined for the caseswap. Sorry!!! But by the smells of the fermentation I dont know? It even has a 2 inch dense Krausen like a true top cropper but its Wlp001 go figure!! it must be nice and healthy!! The only Krausen I have had that has been like that was WY1469 which is defintly a top croper from the Yorkshire Squares.
...This one is (hopefully) destined for the Case Swap...Aiming for an OG of 1.088...

Haha a 750mL of 1.088 beer could be a dangerous one ;-)

I've been thinking for a while we should do a high gravity case swap - like 1.090+. Organise it, brew it, and then swap it a year later or something, maybe seven people to swap 2 x 330mL, that way we end up with 2 beers from six people, one to drink straight off, one to age. Hmmm...just thinking out-loud here.
One to share with friends and family!
Partial mash I found in Beersmith. This is the last partial extract I'm doing before switching to AG. Want to use up the last 2kg of Weyermann wheat malt !

Should Have Been Wiser Weizen
2.00 kg Liquid Extract, Wheat (8.1 SRM) Extract 50.00 %
1.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
1.00 kg Wheat, Cracked (1.5 SRM) Grain 25.00 %
25.00 gm Hallertauer [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
15.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.2 IBU
1 Pkgs Weihenstephan Weizen (Wyeast Labs #3068) Yeast-Wheat

30 min Protein Rest Add 3.76 L of water at 57.5 C 50.0 C
30 min Saccrification Add 3.34 L of water at 88.6 C 65.6 C
10 min Mash Out Add 3.50 L of water at 99.8 C 75.6 C
Thats not a bad idea Glen!! Maybe a local swap?

Recipe looks good Martin, cant wait to try it!!
Well, missed my target OG by a mile - only got 1.074. I think a couple of things contributed - my crush was a bit wobbly (that screw coming loose looks to have caught me out Tyler) plus I forgot to factor in the loss of efficiency I always get on big beers.

No real worries though, I don't think it'll have damaged the balance too much. The wort tasted intriguing....
Won't be brewing for a while. Had a Hernia operation on Tuesday and not allowed to lift anything more than 5Kg for the next six weeks! My wife reckons it was carrying 23lt fermenters from the brewery down the steps and stairs to the garage that did it in the first place. Going to have to rig up a lift system or kick the wife's tumble drier out of the brewery to make room for a fermentation cupboard upstairs :-)
Sh*t thats no good Pilgrim, all the best with your recovery mate!!
Winch and dolly... works wonders!

I would look at turning that bar of your's into the brew bar with temperature controller fermentation chambers etc. That way with the pump you will be getting in the next couple of days you can pump your wort where ever it needs to go! :)
Thanks guys. I'll be sipping for a while to make sure I don't run out of current stock. Better pain killer than I got from the Hospital :-)
more than 5Kg

Or you could do some real small batches ... hope ethe recovery is swift
Mondays Brew

AmaZilla

90% Gladfields Pale Malt
4% Carapils
4% Caramalt
2% Caramunich II

66 Mash

15Ibu Amarillo @ 60, 20
50g Amarillo @ 5 and 0

Pacman