Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On a related subject... is there any point in filtering chlorine from mash water (for a conventional, all grain beer), given that it will evaporate out in the boil? I've always wondered about this, I don't and don't seem to taste any chlorine in my beers.
I believe most water is treated with chloramine instead of free Cl2 gas. Chloramine is much more stable in water, which in turn means it's harder to get out, and generally won't boil out, but metabisulphite will remove it.

I dunno how this works with smoked beers though. If it's actually reacting with the malt in the mash or just one brings the other out in the final beer - I don't know.

If you're not having any chlorine related problems - usually chlorophenols, then I wouldn't worry about treatment.
I have never personally tried to remove the chlorine from water but I believe it can be filtered? I tried a mates beer which he said was filtered and it was 98% rauch and it was much less smoky and harsh than my 40% rauch beer! It was quite interesting doing a side by side - the rest of the water chemistry probably plays a big part with the smoked malt as well!!
Just moved into a house with a water filter, and am really curious to see the difference (if any) in beer flavour, first beers should be ready in a week or so. Wondering if the beers will be a bit less harsh also, whether filtering makes much difference.
Filtering will remove free chlorine but not chloramine. What the proportions are in his and your waters I dunno? I believe that chloramine is used more often as it's harder to get out.

No harm in giving it a shot. I know the water out of my filter tastes better than the straight tap, I can't detect in chlorine in either though.
I'm pretty sure we don't use chloramine in NZ, definitely not in Auckland where chlorine gas or bleach is used. A good method for detecting the chlorine in your water is to half fill a glass then put your hand over the top and shake. The air in the top of the glass will have a chlorine whiff, depending on how much chlorine is in the water. Filtering will remove the majority of the chlorine.
I have spoken to a technician at Watercare this week, asking about it. It seems we don't add chloramine to our water, but it is a natural derivative of chlorine, depending on what it comes into contact with. Evidently chlorine, will convert into chloramine in the presence of ammonia (for example). Whether it is present in trace elements or is added as a contaminant, will determine if there is any present in our water supply. He has offered to test my water for $72. As a commercial brewer, this may be worth while, but for the amount I brew, I could probably just filter and boil it and hope for the best. Truth be known, I am really not that anal about it at this stage.
I wouldnt normally say that chlorine is a problem, but with smoked malt it seems to make a difference from the beers ive tasted...
Looking at putting down an APA
Batch vol 45 ltr

8.5kg Pale malt (Gladfield ale)
500g Crystal 150
425g Melonoidin
200g CaraAroma
Hops:
30 min preboil
60 min 60g Bullion (last seasons from my neighbours vine)
T - 20: 30g NZ Cascade (5.8 AA)
T - 15: 15g NZ Cascade
T - 10: 30g NZ Cascade 5g Nelson Sauv (11.2 (AA)
T - 5: 5g NZ Cascade 10g Nelson Sauv
FO: 40g 5g Nelson Sauv
Wyeast 1318 London III (all I've got atm)
Mash temp 68 deg C
Aiming for a final SG of around 1048

Appreciate any comments / suggestions
Cheers
Now there is a hop name you don't see very often! And you gotta love the Cascade / Sauvin mix, so I think you have a good recipe there!

If you wanted to get an American Ale strain, DMH may have some on hand, else I would even think about using US05!
The hop schedule looks tasty, it'll definitely be good. I'm with James on the yeast though, if it was me I'd use US-05. Also not sure whether that Crystal 150 will be too dark for the style?
I thought about it being too dark also so plugged the numbers into Beersmith which gave about 12SRM, BJCP has a range of 5-14SRM:

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service