Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You'll need to reduce the base malt to around 3.6kg to achieve an ABV around 4.5%.
I recently brewed this as my summer ale which came out at 4.4% ABV. The body is definitely lighter that my previous brews but it's nice as a summer ale and not watery.

Hops look pretty good to me but I agree with Mike and I'd increase the late additions a little, maybe even double the 10 and 0 min additions.
Does anyone have a good recipe for a partial mash Abby Double, using candi sugar
5KG Global Pisner Malt - or equivalent with DME / as a replacement.
500gm Global Munich
250gm Melanoidin Malt
250gm CaraAroma Malt
500gm Candi Sugar
18g Nugget 11.6% boiled for 60mins

Whatever yeast you decide to use for the Dubbel will be good. Mash this at 65 degrees... you do not want a lot of residual sweetness in the beer.

Good Luck
Ty this mate:
Attachments:
Or this; Gold Medal @ NHC

Brew Type: All Grain Date: 6/02/2009
Style: Belgian Dubbel Brewer: Michael Neilson
Batch Size: 18.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 21.65 L Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

3.90 kg Pilsner 63.41 %
0.80 kg Munich 13.01 %
0.20 kg Wheat 3.25 %
0.15 kg Caraaroma 2.44 %
0.15 kg Melanoiden Malt 2.44 %
0.10 kg Caramel Wheat Malt 1.63 %
0.10 kg Caramunich Malt 2 1.63 %

47.00 gm Saaz Plugs [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.9 IBU
22.00 gm Styrian Goldings [2.20 %] (15 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
28.00 gm Saaz Plugs [4.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.75 kg Candi Sugar, Dark (157.0 EBC) Sugar 12.20 %
1 Pkgs Trappist High Gravity (Wyeast Labs #3787) Yeast-Wheat
Heres what ive been thinking for my Rye Dubbel, if chewing on the carabohemian is anything to go by this should be one malty as biartch!

35% Global Pils
25% Rye
7% Cara Bohemian
3% Cara Aroma
10% Brown Sugar
20% Vienna

Will shoot for a 60% OG:BU ratio, just a bittering addition of maybe chinook or sauvin

And will probably use Ardennes yeast... Thoughts?
Rev...

I like your recipe, and it is giving me some ideas.

How do you reckon it would taste with some coriander in it?
Coriander??? This aint a wheat beer mate ;o) lol

Um, not really sure to be honest, my first thought is that coriander might work better in a lighter coloured beer as all the malt flavour and aroma may muddle things up a bit? But like I said im not too sure, ive only ever put coriander seeds into a witbier that I made about a year and a half ago... Best way to find out, brew 20 litres, spice 10 of it and do a side by side...

Ive been giving some thought to a nice dark spiced beer for the winter months, but was thinking more along the lines of cinnamon or something??
You are probably right. The cinnamon would work better.

I guess I am just itching to use some coriander in something. :)
Michael - are you referring to coriander seeds or leaves?

I'm currently drinking a wheat beer with coriander seeds, lemon zest and American ale yeast. I ended up dropping the late hop additions and went with bittering hops only to let the wheat, lemon & coriander be the features. It's a spicey, zesty refreshing light summer ale. Quite nice for what it is. Mrs C loves it which is great coz that's who it's for.

The coriander seeds don't smell or taste like coriander leaves. They are are quite lemony and are a nice compliment to the actual lemon. There is also a spicyness from the coriander seeds which plays nicely with the lemon and the black pepper taste that the Pacific Jade provides.
That actually sounds very good!

I was thinking of something with a bit of coriander leave flavoring, but the seeds sound really nice. If I am not drinking an English Ale, I tend to prefer a citrus character in my beers.
"If I am not drinking an English Ale, I tend to prefer a citrus character in my beers."

Easy enough to get that with hops tho! Juicy american C hops :o)

I reckon the leaves would be interesting, but youd need to pick a good malt bill to carry it I think...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service