Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds fantastic. Let us know if the HMS Tyler is unsinkable or not
Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA brought over from the States by my bro. Crazy beer.
I'm drinking a Dry Stout that I brewed. If I were to enter it into a competition, I'd say I would not win. Infact, I'd say I'd come pretty close to last. The reason is because I don't think it tastes very nice. There is a very sharp acridity about it - probably from the Roast Barley in there... but who knows? It could be from the shit brewer who made it. It's not really to style... regardless. The guidelines say specifically: "A very dark, roasty, bitter, creamy ale."

Well... 2 out of 4 aint bad! I have bitter and dark sorted out.

Now to figure out this "Creamy" character - and this "Roasty" one they speak of.
Dont get muddled!! Creamy is about the texture in your mouth, how does the mouthfeel compare to tui? both the same alc.

In my one I brewed it to style guidlines so to speak, but mine is far to bitter for me to like!! I like my darkies around 50% SG/IBU this is around 70 and to me it seems out of whack!!
Creamy mouthfeel is one thing... but Chalky Ashy Sharp Burny mouthfeel is another!
Dude its all those hops you drink, its ripped your mouth apart and distorted your tastes!!!
Creamy as far as dry stouts go is hard to get without nitro I reckon.

What was the recipe? The standard 70-20-10 grist?

I used that and it came out pretty well, was also lacking the 'creaminess' but I reckon you'd have to up residuals and loose dry-ness to gain creaminess. That's where the nitro comes in I reckon.
The recipe was:

Maris otter 50%
Flaked Barley 15%
Roast Barley 25%
Black Malt 10%

And bittered to 60IBU with Target.

Didn't really come out that well aye... finished at 1.006.
Haha that's fucking extreme! I reckon 35% roast is your problem :-)
He is talking bollock's!! dont trust the man!! The beer will be superb!!
That is pretty intense, 35% roast, wow!! but ive also heard jo say the best beers were crap so agree that he cant be trusted ;o) lol
nah, creamy is easy DGDenim

I've got one warm conditioning now that is 88% pale malt and has no oats of any kind... definitely no nitro... US05 yeast... you've just to drink 'em warm and flat. Preferably through a handpump but straight from a keg is ok as long as you give it some liberal use with the kiwi-handpump.

I came up with a little theory yesterday... could be completely wrong but I'll put it out there anyway... I reckon the high percentage of flaked barley and the nitro is actually to compensate for the crappy cheap pale malt that the big G use.

In saying all this... my "Dry Stout" doesn't have a single grain roast barley in it so who am I to talk!!! I have brewed one in the past though that was 90% pale malt, 10% roast barley and it was delicous (can't believe it was 3.5 years ago!). I distinctly remember thinking that it tasted like Guiness should.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service