Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

CS4 - Rev's Ode to Mt Tamborine's Moderation Pale Ale 'Little IPA'

Or I guess ROMTMALI for short ;o) damn, wish I thought of that for a label lol

Basically was going for a low abv beer with loads of hop flavour and aroma, an IPA you can drink after mowing the lawns or at the beach... This is definately a work in progress, i plan to do a few variations to try and nail it for a house beer so very keen on all open and honest, even ruthless feedback ;o)

3.36kg Golden Promise
320g Global Munich
200g CaraPils
120g CaraMunich III

FWH - 6g Simcoe 12.2%
30- 12g Amarillo 8.6%, 12g Simcoe 12.2%
15 - 18g Amarillo 8.6%, 18g Centennial 9.7%, 14g Columbus 14.2%
5 - 18g Centennial 9.7%, 18g Columbus 14.2%, 14g Simcoe 12.2%
Dry - 30g Amarillo, 12g Centennial, 12g Columbus, 20g Simcoe

US-05

OG 1041
FG - 1012
IBU - 82

Fermented around 22*c, dry hopped for 10 days...

Views: 89

Replies to This Discussion

Well, you asked for ruthless...

I got home from work craving a beverage and figured trying the ROMTMALI would be a good test. Poured a glass. Instant hop aroma! Not a lot of carb, the head was gone in seconds. Time for a sip, then a draught, then all of it. Pour another glass, more hop, more gulps... It easily quenched my thirst so well done on that!
Have to admit it had an edge to it when it was quite chilled straight out of the fridge, couldn't quite pinpoint what it was but it disappeared as it warmed a little. Maybe someone else can spot it. I was expecting something a lot bigger for 82IBU but the bitterness was just the way I like it. In all it hit the spot the way it needed to after a long day.

I'll take a pint any day :D
Enjoyed this one trying in the sun this afternoon.
No head to speak of but a pleasant pale amber. Lovely hop nose, lots of american hop goodness.

First couple of sips felt a little bit thin in the mouth but as it warmed up it filled out and went down very nicely. Nice balance for the low abv. - reminded me of a smaller Armageddon.

Cheers!
A nice yummmy beer Rev! That amarillo shows through. Apricot / stone fruit maybe a touch of lemon grassy/pine. Head thins out quickly and a little thin cold but a nice little kick in the first mouthful. I do get a little dry feeling in my mouth probably from the bitterness. It's got a kick to it from the IBU and it makes that is a great drink, looking forward to my next glass!

Cheers!
Pours golden-tending-light-amber. Thin white head that dies quickly. Aroma of citrus, pine, hoppy goodness.
Thin light malt quickly overcome by an abrubt bitterness. Feels a little overwhelmed which I guess was kinda the point. I picked up and delighted in all of the different hop characters - apricot from the amarillo, pine/grapefruit from the centennial, more but different pine from the columbus, it's a cornucopia of resins. Awesome.

To my taste it just needs a bit more solidity in the malt, that said I'm not entirely sure it's possible to do that without just making the beer bigger. Maybe there's a compromise to be had, I'm not sure. Less outright bitternes maybe? Backing off the amounts of additions a fraction? Using Maris Otter in place of the GP?

Either way great and worthy experiment.
"To my taste it just needs a bit more solidity in the malt, that said I'm not entirely sure it's possible to do that without just making the beer bigger."

It has to be possible!! lol, im thinking Rye, at 20% with the same grist size, similair hopping, same IBU and OG, it should provide that extra malt balance this beer needs without making it bigger... I did do a small IPA with 20% rye and the IBU were at about 100, but it seemed more balanced than this beer, allthough that could be down to utilisation variation across batches??
looks almost viscous pouring, no head. smells great! citrus and pine all over. Smells like all cascade to me and ironically that's the only one you didnt use:) the aroma builds great expectations and I'm not disappointed with the flavour but the mouthfeel leaves a bit to be desired, its a bit weak. I love the idea of a low alc IPA and youre almost nailing it here. Personally I would up the mouthfeel and the malt profile with some caramalt of some sort. maybe substitute 250 g of base malt for the same amount of pale crystal. or some rye might be good, think you mentioned that yourself at some point? I'd be tempted to take the experiment even further and wind it down to about 3%abv (according to promash this is 3.8%).
Cheers!
This was beer 2 out of the swap for me. On pour lovely aroma from those hops coming through, no head and light carb. First time I've had a beer with such a high IBU and man to me I thought it really worked I loved the bitterness and was surprised how well it worked with a low alc beer. For me also had a nice malt flavour. Loved this beer Reviled I think I'm going to have to brew a low alc IPA. Thanks bud.
"Loved this beer Reviled I think I'm going to have to brew a low alc IPA"

Sorry did I forget to mention that ive Trademarked this style in NZ? ;oP lol
Get in there guys, the hop character must be dying down by now, drink it while its fresh :o)
Yeah I had it on Boxing day, I liked the Idea hence why im being a copy cat but doing it as a American lite brown IPA, The think I found with it was the hops were abundant but it lacked malt depth to ride it. Which made it feel and taste a little like I had just brushed my teeth and had a beer sort of a thing. Man when you nail it, it will be a special day I tell you what!!
Totally get what you mean about that brushing teeth feeling, I used to get that from Epic PA when I first started drinking it but not as intense... Definately need to try and up that malt character, I can see me working on this for quite some time, but ill get it near perfect one day hopefully!

Im considering trying to change the hopping schedule to resemble something more like 90, 60, 30, 0 and dry.. Im thinking maybe not having an abundance of late hops in the kettle might help?? Just a thought...
hmmm????? I reacon you want to get as much hop flavour into opposed to making it bitter, like a Ying and Yang between malt flavour and bitterness.But also have over the top hop flavour. I wounder what a 50% Melanodin, Carapils, Golden Promise, Flaked Wheat bastard would be like?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service