Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70876

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would definitely add the candi sugar after a couple of days. If you add it straight away the poor little yeasties might get confused with all those simple sugars around and might forget about the maltose. Let them munch away on maltose for a couple of days then give em their dessert. Don't get too hung up on getting an accurate SG - measure it without the sugar then you can calculate what the sugar would add.

Which NZ Saaz are you using? Saaz B was renamed as Motueka and Saaz D is now Riwaka. Mind you, all the character from those hops will be gone if you add them at 60 mins.
Agree with Martins comments!!
Hi Guy's
I'm brand new to this forum and realitively new to homebrewing (much to learn), but wanting some advice, just put down a wee oatmeal stout and having isues with fermentation. It's been down 3-4days with no bubbling through the air lock? (I have checked for leaks) I'm using Muntons Ale Yeast? but it seems to be fermenting as cake has formed and initialy alot of frothing? Should I just leave it? any advice appreciated!
Check and see if there is any krausen. Just because the airlock is not bubbling does not mean it is not fermenting. If there is no krausen, try pitching new yeast and giving the fermenter a good shake.
Welcome to the forum!

...it seems to be fermenting as cake has formed and initialy alot of frothing? Should I just leave it?

If you have a froth / cake (krausen) on top of the beer it would indicate fermentation. Take a hydro sample and test your gravity as that is the one true indication of fermentation, assuming you took your starting gravity you will be able to tell.

Also check your lid is on properly as I have a leaky lid!
Hey thanks guy's, It does have a small krausen so far but I'll check the gravity tonight, have a feeling I might have a leak! thanks for your replies
hi all. thought i'd give an update on how the current brews are going.

'Ole Smokey (dry stout) started at 1.054, and finished at 1.012.
is 5.2% in the fermenter atm, and is looking nice and clean. tasting awesome too.

DANGER! THIS IS NOT A DAFODIL! (IIPA) started at 1.092 and finished at 1.012 also.
so the attenuation was around 87% (70% actual according to http://pint.com.au/calculators/alcohol/ ). this is also tasting awesome. nice fruity flavours, and nice sharp, crisp bitterness. and thats after i adjusted the bitterness hop from 100g down to 40g. it's currently sitting at about 10.5% in the fermenter atm (cheers mike!).

and both have no wierdness in the tastes. so they're looking good.

problem i have with the IIPA is, it's gritty as shit.
i have about 3 - 4L of trub in the fermenter, and it's pouring out when i use the tap.

so this is what i was thinking:
- bottle stout (prolly next monday). clean and sterilise.
- transfer the good drinkable beer from the IIPA fermenter into that via the auto syphon, out the top.
- leave to sit for another 4 days then bottle.

i wanna clear out as much of the shit as i can.
ideas?

also, when i do that, am i still able to dry hop the secondary?
If you've got a fridge you can put the fermenter in, try giving it a good shake and then chill it good and cold for a few days - the hops will settle out into a cake along with the yeast. Alternatively, fine with gelatine and do the same, will make sure it all stays on the bottom.

If you don't have a fridge you can still dry hop - if you're worried about floaties, just use a hop sock of some sort.
if you're worried about floaties

If you're worried about floaties then you shouldn't be dry hopping - floaties are part of the attraction
Looking to brew a pale ale next and wanting some advice on a recipe. I'm after a pale ale with a particular taste. As an example on xmas day I drank a bottle of Dux de Lux Pale Ale and a Renaissance American Pale Ale. Both very nice beers but I love the flavour in the Dux pale ale more, to me it's got like a caramel type flavour in the malt profile, I also get this taste from Harrington's Razorback bitter and also their Rogue Hop Pilsner. Would it be fair to say it's just an addition of some pale crystal or is it something else? Any ideas?
Yeah mate - Medium Crystal I reckon: 150EBC as well as Pale Crystal.
I reckon pale crystal is the go for caramel flavours, a bit of light crystal in there too wouldn't go a miss to add some sweetness and enhance the caramel flavour.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service