Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94604

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeap.

If you know anyone with a refractometer once it's finished fermenting you can take a FG with your hydrometer, a reading in Brix with the refractometer and use Beersmith to calculate backwards.

I dunno how accurate it is as I've never done it, but if you want to know really badly then that's always an option.
Blinder of a weekend, had so much fun brewing a NZ IPA on Sat', I celerbrated by Brewing a Rust Porter today.
First double brew weekend.
KiwIPA
6.5kg pale ale malt
340g Crystal malt
250g Wheat malt DME (replacement for wheat malt grain)

60gpacific gem at 60min
40gNZ Hallertau at 30 min
40g Nelson Sav at 15 min
30g Nelson Sav at 5min
40g Riwaka to come dry

22g Safale US-05 pitched at 20deg

Mashed at 67 Deg for an hour.
OG 1.070 25ltr into the fermenter.

Woke this morning to the sweet sound of bubbles.

Porter.
Pale ale 5.33kg
Cara aroma 680 g
Crystal 450g
Chocolate 340g
Patent Black 230g
Wheat DME 270g(in the boil)

Imp Fuggle 30g @ 60 min
NZ Super Alpha 28g @ 60min
Pacific Gem 25g @ 20 mins
NZ Hallertau 5g @ 20 mins
NZ Hallertau 30g @ 0 mins

Mashed at 67 deg for 60 mins.
Sparged like a dream.
29 ltr into the boil.
25 ltrs into the fermenter OG 1.072.
Aerated and yeast pitched now just waitng for bubbles

Happy days .
Now back to the drugdery of work for another 5 days of slavery.
Cheers.
Finally mashing in for this now, I upped the carafa and the mash hops, the garage smells like coffee and spice, yum!! Ive got a good feeling about this beer allready...

2.6kg Kolsch
700g Global Munich
180g Cara Munich II
60g Carafa S III
250g Cane Sugar - Caramelised with first 5L of wort and added back to the boil at 10mins..

Mash Hop - 60g Motueka 7.1%
60 - 15g Motueka 7.1%
20 - 25g Motueka 7.1%
0 - 20g Motueka 7.1%
Dry - 30g Motueka 7.1%

US-05
Wowza, this kolsch malt is good stuff, just got an extra 6 points effeciency from what I would get with GP/Perle/MO
This thread for me is now 'What are you NOT brewing?' And the answer to that would be Amarillo Bitter. Why's that you ask? Because Brewcraft fermenters, or the tap specifically, are FUCKING BULLSHIT.

Snapped clean in half. 20L of beer = gone. Nothing I could do to save it, tap broke in my hand when I tried to tighten it because I saw it was slowly leaking. FUCK.
damn
you're on a roll mate!

I know this isn't going to sound like I want it to but it makes me glad that I moved to a stainless fermenter.
Nah, that's similar to what I was thinking - glad 2 of my 3 primaries are Better Bottles (touch wood), this was my 'just in case' fermenter.

This fermenter was kicked out the door and is now next to the bin.

It's been cursed from the start, every batch has leaked and/or ended up with a light infection. I thought it was just bad luck, but it's a piece of shit, I'm not even going to use it for grain storage or anything, fuck it.
me thinks it's time... time it gets the hose.
Bonfire sacrifice more like it.
make a fermenter suit out of it. or at least a pair of moccasins.
make a fermenter suit out of it

Forget the bucketheads - here come the fermenter family ...
Don't throw it, get a new tap!

I have a BC fermenter which has the same symptom at the moment, just tightened it, however will be replacing the tap as soon as possible.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service