Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94605

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Thats my beer im entering!!! I have put a bottle aside so it will have age this time opposed to 2 weeks old.
Sorry Mike, but I'll be taking Stu's advise :o) ... loved the PKB on the weekend ....

My process needs a lot of work still, so I wouldn't worry about mine being close to yours, even if it was an identical bill .... I'm really having lots of temperature control issues all the way through.
Yeah take his advise!! That way we can compare roastyness to percentages!!
Heres another tip lads address your water or it will to acrid!!
I was looking at that last night ... should we be aiming for something similar to the Dublin water or Cork?

And does anyone have a full Wellington water report? I only manage to get a few numbers ...

Calcium: 22.2 ppm
Sulfate: 6.3 ppm
Magnesium: 0.0 ppm
Chloride: 8.6 ppm
Sodium: 11.0 ppm
Bicarbonate: 0.0 ppm
PH: 7.5

Couldn't find the Mg or Bicarb.
I aggregated the data for the wellington water sources and ended up with this beersmith profile. I think any water source could end up supplying any part of wellington, especially if you're supplied by a tank that is filled by truck.

I've made a few stouts now and never had any problem with Wellington water... though I do always acidify. I'm going to leave my water as is, just so we can taste it 'au naturel' on the day.

We're a bit low in Ca CO3 and S04 according to those numbers of Simon's... CO3 is the key. London water is an option too Simon.
Thanks Simon, I've been looking for that data.

Stu, when you say acidify do you mean the ca CO3? Baking soda or Tartaric acid?
Tartaric acid. I just use 1 teaspoon per 20L - a rough estimate based on a calculation I found a few years back.

The only "mineral" i ever really add is CaSO4... though I've toyed with the idea of CaCl2 in pale ales. I've never contemplated CaCO3.
My Mash water for the 13% Roaster had 200ppm of Calcium Carbonate in the mash water to bring the Mash ph to a near perfect 5.3 after that I didn't really give a flying fook my sparge water was U/Hutt 25ppm Carbonate!! And this beer is the Bollocks for it I believe!!
This is I think what you want to read.... page 29.

Greater Wellington Water Report 2009

Maybe not as you will probably living closer to WLG central!
I've just been reading it ... anyone know which one feeds Island Bay?
I've got a mate at capacity... looking into it.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service