Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

I'd like to be the first to thank Mike and Colin for organising a fine inaugural Wellington (home)Brewers Conference at the Malthouse, I had a great afternoon and it’s so nice to be able to put names to faces.

Congratulations to Steff for winning.

Also a big thanks to Soren (sorry if I’ve misspelt) for the shout of a pint of “8 wired”. Very nice.

Views: 101

Replies to This Discussion

I second the thanks, and add another HUGE thanks for Mike for the "training wheels" New Zealand Pale Ale.
Ditto, it was a well worked comp and a thoroughly enjoyable arvo. I'm already wondering how on earth I'm going to do a dry stout - to 'style' of course :D. Good grief...
Absolutely - big props to Mike! It was a great day, sorry that I was only able to be there for a few hours. Good to see many of you again and good to meet a few I hadn't bet before.

Big thanks to Soren - 8 Wired was a nice drop! And congrats to Steph... and Mike ;-)
Cheers!
Yes, can't wait till next time. Well done Steph (& mike), I would be seriously proud if I made that beer. Had a great time, although shame i had to drive. I had two snoring children all the way home to the Wairarpa.
Really excellent day. Thanks to Stu, Dion and Colin for judging, Mike for organizing, and Colin again for hosting! Congrats to Steph and Jonny, very well deserved - sounds like you're picking up the homebrewing bug, and a brilliant start!
Awesome afternoon. Always a pleasure to catch up with the Wellington brew crew. I might have to bring my boys next time (judging out front, bouncy castle out back?).

And, yes, Soren... moreish mate. Can't wait for another taste.

Congrats to all who are happy with their result. Commiserations to the rest - I hope that you pick the same characteristics in your beer as I did (and more!)... and that at least one of notes is of use to someone in improving their beer. A pretty good standard overall.
Really appreciated the effort you put into the notes Stu. Without it we would never have known the 'flaws' in the beer. I'm going to have to have a solid sit down with the beer to work out the "DMS - corn" thing. I love corn but I sure as hell haven't tasted any in my beer. Given the process I've been using it wouldn't surprise me if it was present in the other brews too. Any tips on how to taste beer and begin to hunt out these things? I guess now that I know I'm looking for corn that will help me pick it out easier...
I second that, the notes were extremely appreciated - though slightly left wondering what would cause a slightly soapy effect (perhaps poor cleaning/sanitation for ferment/conditioning?)
Carefull Matthew, if youre looking for something too hard you might trick yourself into finding it in everything! Like when I thought I had an infected batch of Pils, i started smelling funky things in every batch for ages afterwards, but when other people tried it they confirmed it was just in my head ;oP lol
Unfortunately there is a lil perfectionist in me that needs to know these things. I know exactly what your saying though... ;-)
Its funny how you can be completely oblivious to something, and then someone mentions it and there it is in your face - like my irish red, I got marked down for a sweaty aroma which I had no idea was there, untill I read it on the judging sheet and there it was..

I made a mental note to stop brewing without a shirt on ;o) haha
Oh that's the other thing! "Horsey aroma" - What the fuzz?!

I'm pretty sure that was from a bit of a bottle shake up though. The yeast was a bit too noticeable after it's cake was disturbed.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service