Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So, what do you guys reckon? Keep in mind I am still a newbie to AG.

8.00 lbs. Weyermann Pilsner Malt
1.00 lbs. Global Munich Malt
0.50 lbs. Weyermann CaraAmber
0.50 lbs. Global Caramel Light
0.50 lbs.  Bairds Pale Crystal
0.25 lbs.  Bairds Brown malt
0.10 lbs.  Weyermann Choc Wheat

Hops 
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time 
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.50 
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.00 9.1 
1.00 oz. Fuggle Pellet 4.00 4.8 
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.50
Pounds and ounces????????????????????? Aye!? :-P

That's a shit load of different malts, if you're new to AG I'd keep it simple, and only use a few at a time.

What exactly are you trying to brew?
Pounds and ounces????????????????????? Aye!? :-P

Father Michael hasn't converted yet DG.

Michael, a suggestion is to take a read through the recipes on howtobrew or a favourite author and start there with a style you know you like. You mentioned the North Yorks ales as favourites, maybe someone can suggest a good starting point ?

cheers, jt
I still think in terms of inches, feet, lbs, ounces, etc... I did not grow up on the metric system :)

This is supposed to be something similar to a brew I like called, Fat Tire.

I think JT has a good idea. Perhaps I should stick with a North Yorkshire bitter ale, as I enjoy them a lot. I also enjoy pale ales such as Sierra Nevada.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, stop there buddy! If Fat Tire is what you wanna brew, brew it mate!

Have you done many extract and steeped grain beers?

The reason I reckon it's best to keep it simple for the first few AGs is that there's so much other stuff going on a simple grain bill takes a bit of weight off your shoulders, and it also helps you get a better feel for what each malt adds to a beer, but if you've done quite a few beers before those points don't matter too much.
I am being purely selfish mate.

My parents will be coming to NZ to visit for the month of December, and I know my Dad likes Fat Tire alot. (I like it too. :) ) So, I would like to brew a batch that would be nicely conditioned by time he gets here.

My follow up recipes will be much simpler, so as to help me learns the flavours. I do wish to brew a nice hoppy pale ale, and of course some lovely North Yorkshire bitters!
Easy work your percentages

90 - 94% Pale Malt
6-10% Crystal Malt
Upto a hand full of Roasted Malts for Colour

Mash @ 67

Hop too up to about 60-80% SG/IBU

50% Of Ibus Up Front and the rest 10 mins and less

Ferment with a dry Ale Yeast Stable 18-20deg.

It makes good beer every time
Ha ha, some of us that grew up in metric had to deal with a parent who was US measure and one UK imperial.... that screws you up when you talk about a gallon!!

DG being a HBer on the US sites you should be able to do those conversions in your head now!
OK...so my next recipe should be measured in stones, whilst lengths of tubing and such will be measured in furlongs and rods. :)
Michael all brews have two stones no more, no less... they are the stones you have in your pants and help you make the leap into AG!
LOL, nice ! here here
DG being a HBer on the US sites you should be able to do those conversions in your head now!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, haha, I know what one US unit equals in metric but when we start getting to multiples of them I start losing interest haha, percentages and g/L should be the homebrewing standard I reckon.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service