Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Over-rated ?
Nah, it's just different to FO hops. Use the technique that gives the result that you like

I've used and wavered over using both methods, even used both in the same batch

At the moment my preference is for dry hopping, but I'm sure it'll swing back to FO some day soon enough
Stu dont you chuck yourself in the Flame proof suit Chuck your hops in there as the flame kills them!! Horses for courses though, I like dryhopping I do and dont mind the astringency I get from it but If I get sick off it I just wade it out for a few weeks. I do agree with you though Hops in the ferment last you weeks hops in the boil lasts for months.
Horses for courses though, I like dryhopping I do and dont mind the astringency I get from it

yea, I find some hops better suited to flame out rather than dry hop - styrians especially because i don't have the patience to wade it out for a few weeks But that's my taste preference anyway
I guess what im getting at, is there any point in a 0 min addition if youre dry hopping? Especially a big dry hop?

Im drinking my Summer Pils atm, its only got a bittering addition and a small FO addition, and the hop aroma is very very subtle, im sure if I dry hopped it would just be washed away?
Tyler theres only one way to find out Bitter an IPA beer @ 60 or 90, than Chuck in a huge flame out and see what happens?
Some good points...

I think im gonna have to do as mike suggests and try out a massive flame out addition...
there's an infinite number of ways to skin a cat
I guess what im getting at, is there any point in a 0 min addition if youre dry hopping? Especially a big dry hop?

Yeah, I think there is. I reckon it adds to the overall hop complexity of the beer.

Like the Pliny 'Lite' beer Martin and I brewed, nothing mental hop weight wise but lots of small additions throughout the boil coupled with a decent dry hop, much more complex than the other APAs I've brewed with similar amounts but limited to only a few additions.

Im drinking my Summer Pils atm, its only got a bittering addition and a small FO addition, and the hop aroma is very very subtle,

That's why :-)
Right, I bought my ingredients yesterday and dropped Munich to 300g and Melanoidin to 300g, plus 5.5 Vienna of course. I'm expecting an OG of 1065 and FG of 1015 (6.5% ABV) and was looking at about 60 IBU, but might have to bring that up considering how malty people think it will be. But I'm not the biggest hop-head around, so I might just leave it at 60.
If that's what you're feeling go for it mate!

Honestly I've found that it's usually better to go with your gut feeling than take some random on the internet advice.
I have some peated malt and i'm keen to use it. Heard mixed things about it mostly to use only tiny amounts but also the occasional person who reckons you can use lots!
Heres a recipe based on one from BYO magazine:

* 36L batch
8kg Pale
1.8kg Peated
1.2kg Med Crystal
0.23kg Roast Barley
0.5kg Brown Sugar

First 5L of run off boil till end of sparge to caramelise
70gms NZ Cascade 90mins (called for northern brewer)
80gms Fuggles 30mins

US05 - haven't alot of choice on yeast at the mo

What do you think? Undrinkable peat-smoke flavour?
I reckon go for it Dale, it could turn out awesome!! Id be keen to have a taste :o)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service