Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70895

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not a cinnamon fan... but vanilla is on the cards!
If you add one cinnamon quill, you probably wouldn't be able to pick out the flavour of it, but IMHO it adds a depth to the chocolate that I can't really explain well.
Done, one cinnamon quill in the mix! :)
Nothing wrong with good ol Signature range vanilla essence from the super market ;o) Its what I used in my bourbon Porter and even had Glen tell me the vanilla smell was so good I must have used real vanilla... Cant go wrong with that IMO...
Yeah I was so surprised that it was actually essence, smelt too 'spicy' to be essence.

I'd get the best of both worlds, secondary with vanilla a few vanilla pods then add some extract/essence to taste at bottling, can't go wrong with that I reckon.

Or you could use the vanilla syrup in place of priming sugar, could be interesting (and relatively unpredictable).
Hey

Was goin to get this under way:

Batch Size: 18.93L
Boil Size: 11.36L

1.5kg Light Malt Extract: 45.45%
1.5kg Light Malt Extract (Boil for 15mins): 45.45%

0.30 kg Pale Crystal Malt: 9.09%

15g Southern Cross @ 60
15g Cascade @ 15
15g Motueka @ 15
15g Cascade @ 0
15g Motueka @0

IBU's: 37.4

US-05

Does this look about right, or is there something obviosuly wrong with this?? Sorry guys, still new to this stuff.
Depending on what you're after the crystal might be on the high side, otherwise looks great.
Looks a bit like a favourite I've been doing lately - this combination of hops is very nice. My recipe is:

1.7Kg Mac's Pale Ale kit
1.5Kg Blackrock East India Pale Ale kit
0.25Kg Crystal
US-05

Bittering - about 45 mins:
30g Super Alpha
30g Southern Cross

Flavour / Aroma - added between 30 & 0 mins:
20g Sothern Cross
50g Motueka
50g NZ Cascade

Dry Hopping:
50g Motueka
50g NZ Cascade
Holy crap dude, you use way more hops than im goin to, haha. I think im still just goin to go with my recipe though. Maybe i should drop that Crystal down? Ive read that it can get cloying if used too much in a brew, is that true?
On second thoughts, I reckon you're ok with that crystal.
I checked back my notes and recipes for extract & grains and I was using 250-300gm most batches for a standard sort of ale.
If you're unsure on an ingredient, start on the low side and if you like it, add more in the next batch.
A handfull of chocolate (20-50gm depending on your tastes) also helps take the edge off the crystal too. What other extract & grains have you brewed ?
The Crystal I've been using is medium to dark so 300g of pale should be fine.

I might be going overboard with the hops - I'm still experimenting and maybe I should've started at a lower level because now I'm addicted to heaps of hops. It's handy that I can buy them in person from the supplier though. As jt says - start low and add more next time if you need.

I just did a half-batch Imperial IPA at about 30g per litre - 100g each of NZ Cascade, Southern Cross and Rakau.
Haha wicked man thats seems like a shit load of hops, no doubt i'll probly end up addicted too!

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service