Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

OG 1.062
FG 1.016
15.8 SRM
61.9 IBU

4.80 kg ..Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (79.78 %)
0.40 kg .Crystal, Pale (6.59 %)
0.40 kg .Munich I (6.59 %)
0.20 kg .Crystal, Dark (3.37 %)
0.20 kg .Caraamber (3.32 %)
0.02 kg .Chocolate Malt, Pale (0.33 %)

67C Mash.

16.00 gm Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min)
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (10 min)
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (10 min)
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (10 min)
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (0 min)
20.00 gm .Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] (Dry)
20.00 gm .Simcoe [12.30 %] (Dry)
20.00 gm .Amarillo [8.40 %] (Dry)

2 Pkgs Safale American Dry Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05)Yeast-Ale

Water used is Ca -112, Mg - 18, Na - 11, SO4 - 145, Cl - 50, HCO3 - 110

Keen for any feedback :-) Cheers and beers everyone.

Views: 182

Replies to This Discussion

wow, that's all there is too it, I'm making one! I've had a peated barley wine in mind for a while but only planned on _maybe_ 5% peat malt at the very most, not 95%
How big was this one? I take it no flavor hopping? you might not even need bittering hops in that one:)
Yeh sorry youre right stu, it did have a bit of crystal in it, not sure about hops but im sure it would have had bittering hops.. I tried it at xmas and it was slightly medicinal, but the other week ast Martins place it was absolutely stunning with no flaws IMO!! Pretty sure its around 7%

Youve got access to all that Peat malt, may as well give it a shot?
I'll definitely try that, but I might start out at 50%, I don't want to brew something right now that will take 2 years of age before it's drinkable? How old was this one when you guys tried it?
John attends most if not all of the SOBA events in Auckland, he's a SOBA member and member of the Auckland Guild of Brewers and Winemakers, last year we combined the SOBA Christmas do with the Guilds', it was fantastic. John brought out the very last bottle of that barley wine, some even older RIS - he had quite a stash and was very generous.
A real nice guy and a great brewer.
...parboil the cock, flay him, and stamp him in a stone mortar until his bones are broken

Ah, No....
I'll try anything once...

...except that...ouch.
Last beer of the swap, I might have saved the best for last.
Beer is bright as a button, deep red copper with a fruity hoppy nose bursting out of the creamy off white head.
This beer is all about balance - a wonderfully marmaladey mixture of sweet bready malty goodness and piney citrussy American hoppiness. The salt additions add a roundness and depth, and quite a refreshing character. It's really pretty bloody marvellous. It has the kind of balance and drink-ability I've always admired in Emersons beers - in fact there are several New Zealand micros that could do much worse than to have this beer as their bread and butter ale.

An awesome ale Glen, glad I saved it for last.
Cheers mate.

Also thanks to everyone else left a comment.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service