Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Since this is the most popular thread on the RealBeer.co.nz forum I thought I would start it here just to see what happens

Views: 94634

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wondering if todays the day for my WBC IPA... inspired by Armageddon last night... perhaps a bit early but I'll be able to take advantage of lots of time for dry hopping and clearing. With IPA timing is everything.
Now you've got me panicking - my plan was to harvest the 1056 from my Porter today, then brew the WBC IPA on the weekend of the 1st August. Actually, sod it - I'm still confident that will be the right timing.
yeah I'm jumping the gun by 2 weeks on my initial plan. But I figure it'll have that 2 weeks extra conditioning and clearing - planning to dry hop the buggery out of it.

Recipe: Stanmore Bay IPA

6.7kg Golden Promise
600gm Munich
300gm Light Crystal

Shooting for OG of 1.067

15gm Simcoe, 15gm Centennial - 60min

20gm Cascade, 6gm Simcoe, 6gm Centennial - 20min

20gm Cascade, 9gm Simcoe, 9gm Centennial - 10min

20gm Cascade, 9gm Simcoe, 9gm Centennial - 3min

20gm Cascade Flame out

Mix of Cascade/Simcoe/Centennial dry hop, probably twice.

60 some odd IBU.

BANG
Good to see that carared in there stu, I'll be interested to see what you think of it in that beer.
You inspired me Mr C.
Gaaah, was sposed to brew today :o( The cheap ass shitty drill we got doesnt work with the mill, will ask the FIL if he has one I can use tomorrow.. Having some issues with the joking style bucket hopper as well i think weve done something wrong :-/
My house reeks of American hops. Must be time to settle down with a pint of Armageddon and watch some rugby.
I can't use my cheap predator hammer drill - it just strips the crank. My shitty old makita cordless works though - even though you can smell the engine burning. show us a photo of your hopper?
Rev, just slowly feed the grain into the mill hopper, it will work if the gap is not too narrow. I had to do this last brew day, this morning I had the ancient 500rpm drill on the mill. Filled up the hopper and the drill just ate the torque, had to put the end of the drill on a chair to stop it moving so much!

Given I was up between 2:30 and 4:30am this morning with my daughter, decided to put the urn on and start a brew. Ended up with the following recipe...

4.00 kg Gladfields Pils LAR005 (2.8 SRM)
0.25 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.25 kg Caramunich III (Weyermann) (71.0 SRM)
20.00 gm Northern Brewer (60 min) 15.7 IBU
30.00 gm Riwaka (D Saaz) (15 min) 8.5 IBU
40.00 gm Riwaka (D Saaz) (0 min)

Probably pitch S05.

On another note, I finally got around to testing my conversion this morning with iodine (iodophor). After a step mash of 50 / 67 over 70min I seemed to have conversion, well the iodine didn't turn purple! :)
Hey have done a mini mash english ale and recipe says to dry hop with East Kent Goldings. Can't get my hands on any but can get NZ Golding, NZ Styrian Golding would they do or should i get something else or just don't do the dry hopping?
I'd go with NZ Styrians personally.
i second that emotion

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service