Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70886

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah All good Bro!! Im a 8% Roast Malt 7% Crystal kindaguy for my dark beers, So should be all GOOD!!

Yeast WLP001?
No 001 in stock :o( So will have to be S-05...

Jeepers, 8% roast you say? thats gangsta!

Tried US Williamette before? Ive only used NZ and im not sure what to expect, was thinking earthyness from the williamette, some spicyness from columbus, and erring about some amarillo or cascade in the dry hop along with the others?? But it may clash??
Nah never tried it. Clash theres only one way to find out!!
Yeah, I've tried it ages ago. Yes, I think earthy is a good description based on memory. It's a relative of English Fuggles. But you probably knew that.
Columbus is fucking tasty in a US Stout.

I used 10% roast in mine, and am tempted to use more on the re-brew.
ok. i've got some good tips. thanks guys.
i've adjusted my IPA which i'll post below, but, as a couple of people have pointed out, i might save that recipe for a time when my mash and sparge technique is at a point as to do the beer some justice. :)

so i'll start with a more sedate version for my 1st AG (when i get that recipe on paper, i'll post for comments also).

i've picked up that using hop that emparts some citris flavours has the effect of balancing the extra malty goodness. i've also extended my Pacific Jade use in bettering, to a couple additions, and added a few more NZ veriety hop.

but, for now, here's the 2nd edition of yesterdays recipe for comment:
7.5KG Bairds Pearle Pale Malt
1.0KG Weyermann Munich Malt
0.5KG Weyermann Carapils Malt
0.5KG Bairds Caramel Malt 40L

Boil time of 90mins, boil size 24 - 25L, Batch Size 19 - 20L (vigorous boil, or a more softer boil done here?).

bittering (90mins):
50g Pacific Jade
50g NZ Goldings

30mins:
25g Riwaka
25g Pacific Jade

20mins:
25g Nelson Souvin
25g NZ Cascade

15mins:
Koppaflock

10mins:
25g Motueka
25g Pasific Gem

0mins:
25g Nelson Souvin
25g Pacifica

Aroma:
30g Riwaka (dry hop 7 days into fermentation)
30g Hallertau Aroma (dry hop 7 days into fermentation)
30g Pasific Gem (dry hop 7 days into fermentation)
Wowza, thats a big beer! Good amounts of crystal and carapils, nothing overdone, and I like the munich ;o)

Cant really comment on the hop types/additions cos I havnt used pacific gem or jade, but the Hallertau aroma seems out of place, its quite noble/earthy IMO where as all the others hops are quite fruity/spicy...

And goldings isnt really a good bittering hop cos of the low alpha, you could use something like nugget or southern cross which is 11-13% and use a lot less hop matter - you need to remember using alot of hops will make you lose more wort..
thats the main reason i added it.

i used some solid citris flavoured hop from 30mins down to counter the malty texture the beer will end up having. so, for the aroma, i went for a more "interesting" dynamic.

like, reading up on Pacific Gem, it's got a oaky/woody flavour, with a blackberry/citrisy aroma. and Riwaka has a citris aroma to it, so am kinda interested in how the 3 combine.

i used goldings (any low alpha hop really) as although Jade has a high alpha, it's bitterness is quite soft in comparison to say, Super Alpha (just from what i've read). something about lower Cohumulone %age (Jade is 24% of AA compared to Super Alpha which is 36-39% of AA).

but in checking on Southern Cross again, it's Cohumulone %age is comparible to Pacific Jade (SC is 25 - 28% of AA), so might switch that for the goldings at the start.
Half the grist and take out the 90 min goldings and 30 min hops and brew it will give you a good Idea of how the beers going to turn out. If it was Me I would 15 Ibu it at 90 with 80g (any Hops) at 10 and 100g at 0 (anyhops providing ou have an imerssion chiller) all up 40-45 Ibu try get around the 1.050 mark and you would have yourself a damn good beer that you can build into an IPA when you think your ready probably next brew!!! Mate if you want your more than welcome to watch me brew if you want? If you want we can brew your IPA for you?
Yeah - do that on Saturday the 18th of July...

I might even bring some Cascade down for you to chuck in there Mark.
mmmmm..... i'll fiddle with this recipe and see what comes out. i'll post it when i'm done.
as for the brewing, i'm happy to wait till i get the bits.

apparently i have to wait to get a 40L pot as the guy is overseas atm.

thanks a lot for the help mike (and everyone).
also, very keen to take you up on this mike! infact, the more wiser heads i can learn from the better! :-)
but as i said below, i wanna get some kit first.

also, been checking out the grains, and noticed that the colour is very coppery.
have been trying to figure it out, but it's doing my head in atm, so i'm gunna stop and stick with the above malt bill. :-)

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service