Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

OK anyone think this beer will last longer or shorter than 24 months?

"Lion pins hopes on a mid-strength brew"

Society of Beer Advocates' Geoff Griggs says the move is a "logical extension of a very powerful brand" but questioned whether there would be much demand among thirsty Kiwis.

Full Story

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"The only other offering, Rheineck, also brewed by Lion Nathan, has struggled to date to make much of an impact on the drinking scene."

Understatement of the year?
I remember our works social club held a raffle one month, can't remember what the first prize was but the second prize was 1/2 dozen Rheineck and the third prize was a dozen Rheineck. We couldn't give the stuff away.
AHAHAHA that's AWESOME.
Mac's Spring Tide proved the demand is there. It seems to have lasted, and there are lots more Steinlager drinkers than Mac's. I think it will stay. Good on Lion Nathan for brewing a low strength beer. Even though I know it's just more cynical marketing, I don't see this as a bad thing, and it may get people used to lower strength beers... making them ripe for every craft brewery in NZ to release a Mild! Muahahaha!

My first beer was a Rheineck. I overcame that anyway and went on to quite like the odd beer. ;)
I still can't quite believe that Mac's dropped Copperhop and brought out Springtide. I guess its staying power is a testament to the recent popularity of low-carb beers amongst those who aren't too worried that the brewer has removed all the taste from their beer. I understand the concept amongst those into sport and fitness + personal choice and all that - but surely a better solution is to drink less and/or exercise more?
I've always wondered the same thing. At that point, it doesn't really taste like beer, and one might as well drink softdrinks or water. Does anyone drink these who can clarify the attraction?
Old man is diabetic, he drinks it time to time. I call him a pussy.
I would like you to quantify "Mac's Spring Tide proved the demand is there"

Do you have figures or hearsay?

http://www.realbeer.co.nz/blog/labels/carlton.html

Sunday, January 04, 2009
Flat beer market forces innovation
"Healthy beer. It's almost a contradiction in terms."

(typical first sentence for a New Years alcohol story by NZ Herald. Come on guy why not surprise us with something original and positive, don't you drink beer?)

"The battleground has now shifted to a subset of the health and wellbeing category, the low-carb beer market. Right now, the New Zealand low-carb market is well, small beer, making up just 1 per cent of the $1.4 billion retail beer market.

But it is also the fastest growing, with year-on-year growth of around 20 per cent since Australian brewer Carlton introduced Pure Blonde to our shores in 2005."

(Hello people!! 1 per cent of the market, with 20% growth, then on the 1st January 2010 the article will be able to say that it has grown to 1.2% of the market.)

ATTENTION: Errol Kiong

A MORE INTERESTING STORY WOULD BE ABOUT THE 50 INDEPENDENT CRAFT BREWERIES THAT MAKE UP 2.5% OF THE $1.4 BILLION RETAIL BEER MARKET. DID YOU KNOW THAT THAT IS 250% LARGER THAN THE LOW CARB PART OF THE MARKET!?!?!
I would like you to quantify "Mac's Spring Tide proved the demand is there"

Do you have figures or hearsay?

Nothing more than "it's been 3 odd years, and it's still on the shelves."

That tells me enough people are buying it to justify production and distribution. That, or LN are prepared to lose money indefinitely to please a tiny amount of people who might not drink their products otherwise.
1/2 Steinlager Pure + 1/2 Steinlager Light = Steinlager Edge
People at work who have tried it have likened the flavour to Australian brews of a similar strength.
Well done to Lion for doing this, I think this will be hugely successful. I'm sure there is demand for lower strenght beer and they will leverage of the sucess they have had with Pure. Appears to be a big trend in UK with the likes of Becks, Stella etc all being reduced an abv 1% point or so. Also allows the brewers to reduce the cost of the beer (less tax) in these recessionary times.

I wonder if mainstream drinkers will ever wise up to the likes of Book Binder, Mrs G Luncheon Ale or YB'S Kid Chocolate - now there are some mid strenght beers with flavour.
I doubt it.
We're selling a sausage, the big breweries are selling the sizzle.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service