Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Adding a sparge step will definately help your Eff a few points - I actually skip the mash out process these days and have replaced it with a sparge step and I still get 75% ish consistently...

The mash out step in BIAB is purely there to make the wort run off the bag a bit easier, but if youre sparging the bag its my opinion that you dont need the mash out step...

Have a read of my recent Blog post Lee, theres a run down of how I sparge the bag...
Dunk sparging! I like it, will give it a go on my next batch. Reviled, I know each system is different but how much water do you tend to start with to get say 20L into fermenter and about 5kg of grain? And if your sparging with 8L does that take you over your initial starting volume or do you still lose some of that sparge water to the grain and end up where you started? I guess I'm concerned about adding too much water and watering down my beer, or does it not work like that?!
Um - its hard to say cos my gears not calibrated - but I start off with about 24ish litres, and I reckon by the time I pull the bag out, ive lost 0.75litres per kilo of grain, so say for 5 kilos I lose almost 4 litres, leaving me with about 20 litres in the kettle.. Then I sparge untill ive got the volume in the kettle I want - about 26-28 litres...

I do a 90 min boil these days, and add the wort that collects in the bucket right up till the last 20 mins of the boil!
I haven't brewed this recipe but Jamil loves himself a Schwarzbier so I would think the recipe would be pretty spot on.

For a little extra advice checkout the Schwarzbier podcast at www.brewingnetwork.com.
Thoughts? SMaSH beer with my favourite malt and my favourite hop...

5.5kg Munich OG - 1064 IBU's 61

FWH : 25g Amarillo 6.8%
20 : 25g Amarillo 6.8%
10 : 25g Amarillo 6.8%
5 : 25g Amarillo 6.8%
Dry : 50g Amarillo 6.8%

US-05
You bastard.... I was gonna smash Munich and Cascade.

This looks delicious.
I reckon itll have an awesome red colour to it! I just couldnt help myself knocking this recipe up after weighing out all those hops... Allthough I dont think I have enough Munich, so ill probably brew Pliny first...

Wonder how malty it would be? It would be like it has a fair whack of crystal in it?
I dont think so aye... there's this myth going round that Munich is this massive beer sweetner and that it's hugely unfermentable... I think you'll find that this brew will serve as a good experiment for yourself - and will dispell some of these ideas. I reckon you'll get an F.G of 1.014 - 1.016 if you mash at 67 degrees.

As far as taste goes, it'll taste Munichy.
Mmm, munichy ;o) With amarillo... Man, ive gotta brew this beer!
Yeah I used Munich II as a base and ended at 1.020 With it with standard Crystal blah blah blah same with something else as a base malt I reacon it would of been 1.012-1.014 Maybee standard munich will be more fermentable
Maybe a mash-temp tweak? My Munich Dunkels (just Munich II and a touch of carafa special) finish at about 1014 when mashed at 66...
Mate it was 65 fully converted and for 1 1/2 I understand what you mean, But there was a few unfermentables in it and as well as a Lo attenuating yeast, with standard S05 and say MO I would expect with the unfermentables around 1.014. That the sort of atteuation I normally get

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service