Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alesmith IPA

True West Coast IPA. Dry, Resinous, Piney - Caramel but not sweet. Bitter finish. Doesn't have the depth of Pliny the Elder, but very very very nice all the same... and technically its not a IIPA liek Pliny so you have to give it credit for that. I like this beer much - and would recommend it if there is any left. It good to see that within a style, there can be so much variation.

Thanks Beerstore, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Tonight it's Fair Maiden, Blind Pig IPA and then Harvest Ale. Blind Pig IPA was freaking amazing and makes the entire order worth it, except I've still got 4 more to go!
Some Pliny Snr and Firestone IPA with Crabbeys whilst he helped get my tempmate up and running.

Some of Crabbeys Perry now which is tasting quite nice, and later, maybe some more IPA by firestone.
Now drinking Anchor Steam. Not as good as the Liberty. Has that slight tinny "travelled" taste but nothing like you get on some of the British beers. And, still really quite delicious. Dry in the way it makes the front, top bit of your teeth dry...Hoppy (I am not expert enough to suggest more than that). Slightly fruity.

Just had a London Pride and a Tuatara Hellis at the Malthouse. Wouldn't bother with the Pride again, just not very exciting but quite enjoyed the Hellis. Have had about 3 pints of it now. Has a little spicey flavour to it. Fraser said it is slightly higher in alcohol than wanted/anticipated - 5.6-5.7%. and that they might like to drop it under 5% but don't want to lose the drinkability. It is drinkable...

Had some Peak IPA last night and it was bloody awful. Peak now holds the un-envious record of being the old brewery where I have ever sought money back. The IPA smelt like cat food and anchovy with hints of rasberry. The rasberry suggests that it might, at some point, in the life cycle, have been nice but it was not. Taste wise, it was spit-out flavoured.
It was like tuna...Pams tuna...I like tuna but not Pams tuna and not in a beer. Gross. Supposedly barrel aged in old pinot casks, why would you do that to an IPA?

Ah, forgot to mention bought the new Emerson's brewers reserve, and dunkle...the fridge is CRAMED with good beer. Don't know where to begin. Hard life.
Rogue Shakespeare Stout last night - just superb. Drinking my own American brown ale at the moment.
A few Brewjolais with Sparky at Shed 22 over dinner.
Yes, it matches finely with fish & chips !

Followed by a cascade ale, Pukehuia and then the dregs from the kegging of 656 .. counting down to mashing in 658 St Johns Styrian Pale in the morning
great day for brewing.
and yesterday was a great afternoon for brewjolais and chips at shed 22... shared a jug there with an old mate.
You're brewing Stu ?

All tidied up here and looking for some lunch .. looking forward to some time in the sun this afternoon.

A selection of beers was swapped last night, looks like Sparky's Hopweasel tonight
The time for Pliny was upon me last night...and it certainly delivered to expectations.
And that was followed by a 2003 Wither Hills Pinot Noir.
I couldn't say which I enjoyed more - both were superb.
The Pliny, YUM but, I thought the Blind Pig was even better...Insanely piney. Their packaging is quite hilarious.
Alesmith X and Fat Tire last night. Alesmith Anvil ESB tonight.

The X didn't make the journey very well, the fat tire was nice enough, but one-dimensional, and the anvil ESB was tasty but once again the malt profile was a shade too chewy/flabby.

I haven't hit the IPAs or IIPAs yet, but my impression of US craft beer so far is that they have a heavy hand with the munich malt!
I agree. It's not always munich malt... they're into the cara's and aromatics too.

I thought the Fat Tire was a Flat Tire. I doubt it has a hell of a lot going for it fresh.

The IPAs have all been good, thus far, with Pliny being the only one a cut above.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service