$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

1.046, 1.014, 13IBU

60% Wheat
40% Pils

Tett

WLP300

45/66/76 Double decoction.

Would love to hear any criticism anyone's got.

Cheers,

Glen.

Views: 55

Replies to This Discussion

Looks the biz. The head, though small did stick around in my glass.
Its tastes good and is a well made beer. As Stu said it is subtle, my personal preference is for more in your face weizen flavours and aromas. I enjoyed this one but Doublehoppy's was more aligned to my taste.
Nah stuff Melanoidin you only need Munich.
Started foaming in the bottle as soon as I opened it, slowly climbed to the top so I decanted the entire thing. Lumps of yeast lifting from the bottom & rising as I poured.
Poured a cloudy, murky, creamy yellow color with no head. Color reminded me of clover honey.
Aroma of bread, pears, stone fruit & lemon. Can smell phenols but no bananas. Looks & smells nice.
Carbonation is med. Tastes of bread, pears & lemon.
Very refreshing drink with a sour/tartness. Very easy to drink, some would say a bit too easy :)
Lemon coming through more in the aftertaste as it warms. Aftertaste reminding me of lemonade.

Overall very, very nice. Not sure what happened when I opened it but the beer was great.
I was expecting a big foamy head?
This beer was interesting for me 'coz I usually prefer all beers to have no bananas (or very little). To me this beer had no bananas and I found myself thing "hmm, maybe it could do with some bananas?"

Great job Denim, don't change the grain bill.
I'm not big on Hefes but this one was nice, could easily have drunk more. It's beers like this that keep my Hefe interest alive, albeit on the back burner.

Oh, and my wife liked it too.

Cheers
Thanks mate.

'...Started foaming in the bottle as soon as I opened it, slowly climbed to the top so I decanted the entire thing. Lumps of yeast lifting from the bottom & rising as I poured...'

Makes me think it was an infected bottle, so sorry about that mate. I haven't cracked one in a few days but the bottles of it I've had so far have been ok. Will have to drink one or three tonight to see what's up.

Yeah the head on this isn't that flash, I reckon that the rest at 45C killed the head retention. Next hefe I'm going back to single infusion.
I'm happy to test the next batch if you like ;o)
52 is a bit more "head friendly" but you only need 10 - 15mins max.
Yeah I went 45 for ferulic acid. Don't have my notes in front of me but I think my decoction took a little longer than expected so may have sat there for a little too long.
I'm not a wheat guy.
#2 from the swap for me.

Pours a hazy straw colour with a tightly packed white head. Head rises high and is persistent with good lacing but it's not that light airy rocky head I'd usually associate with wheat beers - this is more creamy. Which personally I like.
On the nose there's a touch of clove and some spice. Some banana as it warms.
Tangy and tart, there's some sourness on the front palette, smoothed out by bready malt and a crisp dry finish. I'm with Stu, hard to believe this ended at 1.014.

This is a really lovely beer, extremely well made. If you owned a brewpub I reckon this would sell by the bucketload as it's not a super funky wheat - rather a damn tasty and drinkable one. I'm so impressed with the all around quality and drinkability. Have to give the wife a sip before it disappears!

Again, I'm not a wheat guy, this is hands down the best one I've had. Cheers Glen, really awesome mate.
this is hands down the best one I've had

Was up there for me too
And doublehoppy's weren't far behind.

Though Ed Siddle makes a kick-R's weizen too. It's all that research he does in Germany.

We got some real game in the homebrew weizen stakes.
DG..I'm not a wheat guy either and this reminded me of everything I kind of avoided in wheat beers..however...having said that.....very drinkable. ..I loved the banans jumping out of the glass from the off and lo and behold my good lady got very excited as she smelt them too - shes normally shite at this stuff so was chuffed that she picked a ' style'...A bit fizzy from the bottle but I might have been heavy handed in my pour - once the head settled down it looked fabulous - cloudy with the odd swirl of yeast for good measure.. For me, the style wouldn't be my first choice in a bar and I kept thinking it was much more fuller and rounder version of hoegarden and ultimately more drinkable. Still learning about this but overall I could be inclined to drink again and again as it wasn't as sharp as some 'commercial' wheaties i've drank. Thanks for a really good beer and for educating my pallette some more.
No criticism here. Had this after doublehoppys hefe and enjoyed the differences

Less banana which i liked, and then struggled to find the words to describe the rest. Vaguely reminded me of a riesling, an aged one, that had moved from being floral into something more minerally. As previously noted i struggle to describe wheats but i really enjoyed this one. Subtle and a top drop
Pours with a strong carbonation, cloudy grey yellow colour, Very slight banana aroma and flavours. More subtle than the Doublehoppy hefeweizen, which we prefered with stronger banana and bubblegum esters. Bang on for body with regards to the style, we think

Our critiqing clarity has started to deteriorate with the drunkeness as many may pick up on.

From the usual lot, Slainte.

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service