Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

What is the ideal sized stainless pot for brewing up the wort? Do I go with a 12,14, or 16 litre? Any help appreciated.

Views: 1247

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bigger the better.
You might only be doing a partial boil now, but take into account that you might want to do an all grain in future.
Getting something bigger now means you can use it later on as well.
Go 16 litres at a minimum, 20 litres would be better
I agree with jt, however the warehouse have a cheap 17 litre SS pot for about $20. Minimal outlay now and it comes in handy when you get your hands on a 50 litre SS vessel!
Go 30litres plus then all you need is a grain bag and burner and you can make BIAB AG :o) Downside is a big SS pot can be quite expensive, but well worth it IMO.. Studio1 got a SS pot from some Chinatown shop for cheap as chips, are you in Auckland?

Trust me, youll make one or two partials and want to go AG
I used one that was 27liters for the last few years. I just got one that is 40 liters. It is awesome. I can do split batches now (if I want) and I can do 3 hour boils now for kick ass IPAs. Look around for a big pot - you wont regret paying a bit more for something that is future proof.
Seeing as I'll be doing the initial brews on the stove (electric range) I'll probably have to go with a 16 litre- the diameter of the larger pots is a concern when trying to brew on the stove top I imagine. While the warehouse may have some good prices, I may have to spend more and get a higher quality stainless pot so as to have a bit more control over temperature and therefore reduce the dreaded boil over....
For my mind, buy cheap if you're getting a small pot, they're not future proof. I managed one brew before I thought "This is a pain in the ass".

Add to that the fact that there's no better protection against boilover than having an appropriately sized pot.
Even doing 16 litres on the stove gets to be a massive pain in the ass mate! Youre better to shell out on a gas burner, and if youre lucky and have a bbq, chances are the regulator will fit the burner...
Is that a ceramic top electric range? If so the warehouse pots tend to have a concave bottom which makes them unsuitable. Steal a keg.
I'd go 30 liters minimum. That way you can brew 20 liters of all grain when you need to in the future, and you WILL need to...:)
okay, so it looks like a 30 litre pot, where is the best wholesaler to get one of these- I'll bet they ain't cheap! I've got the gas burner so I'm assuming that this is best done outside? I'll bet my wife is going to be delighted once I convert the kitchen to "The Brewhouse".
Yeah do it outside or your wife will kill you ;o)

Where abouts are ya mate? If youre in Auckland, brewers coop, or Hauraki Home brew sell a 30 litre pot (which is what I use) for about $110

Or have a look on trademe, theres Aliminium and SS pots which can sometimes be quite cheap...
I picked my 41L pot off TM for about $85 from some guy in AKL. I wouldn't want to go less than that for BIAB...

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service