Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

interesting

I've been having a similar issue with an Oktoberfest recently, in which I used two packets of MJ Bohemian Lager, pitched into a 1L starter overnight (just for raising them to peak activity), and pitched into oxygenated wort, starting at 10, working up to 12C over a few days, then up to 15C after four weeks.  It was still 1.024 when I measured it last.

Last time I made a lager with MJ Bohemian Lager it was very slow to start, and didn't get as far as it should have either..  Took a long while to get it down, and it still didn't end as dry as it should have.

I'm beginning to wonder if it is just a lazy strain...

Maybe it is when I said 2 packs in 40L worked well last time it was actually Saf Lager S-23 so maybe that's the difference.

Hmmm, I am planning a Pils with MJ B-Lager yeast... ye got me think other wise.

Might just have to go for it.

Go down to pak','save, get a coopers lager klt $12 into a 10L container pitch couple of those MJ B Lager packs,   ferment out , crash cool and pitch,   don't lager yeast have a lot less of a growth phase, thus you need way more to start with otherwise it does finish low?

Hmmm I'll stick with it but create a 2L starter for it.

BS reaokns 2 packs will give 360 billion cells of the 502 billion needed... and 2L takes that just over to 542 billion.... that'll do.

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a good 'middle of the road' English IPA' recipe? Simpler the better!

I only have experience brewing NZ/US style IPA's, so any guidance appreciated! I'm hoping to be able to use my left over Northern Brewer hops for bittering...

Cheers Nigel.

I adapted this one:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/anyone-brewed-ipa-ekg-140192/

Still in fermenter, so no idea how good it's going to be...

I'm brewing a Firestone Walker Wookey Jack Clone  (black IPA) next then an imperial oatmeal stout.

I would usually use US05 for the IPA and burton union for the stout but if I used burton union for the IPA I would have a great yeast cake for the stout.

Any one got any thoughts of burton union for a black IPA? Will it be to malty/not clean enough?

Does anyone have an opinion about using goldings and liberty together in an oatmeal stout?

My original recipe has liberty at 30 and 15  but baylands doesnt have liberty at the mo and I have open packs of both goldings and liberty but not quite enough to do the whole brew with either.

And any ideas on which for which addition?

I reckon they'll be fine.  Liberty is described as an American cousin to Hallertau.  Both are fairly low AA% though, so neither lends itself particularly well to bittering, both are better finishing hops.

I might try equal parts of both throughout the additions?  

I'm  bittering with warrior. The other thing I have lying around in the freezer is Perle which is also described as  Hallertau like. So new plan mix leftovers of Liberty and Perle which will either be just enough or close to what I need then make up the difference with Goldings.

Here's the  recipe. Its adapted from a  Speedway stout clone I brewed a while back which was the best beer I've done. I just subtracted 2 cans of LME (making it only 9% rather than 11%) and 1 pack of coffee and added some oats.

size: 40.0 L @ 20 °C
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 310.79 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.092 (1.075 - 1.115)
Terminal Gravity: 1.023 (1.018 - 1.030)
Color: 40.03 (30.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 9.2% (8.0% - 12.0%)
Bitterness: 54.1 (50.0 - 90.0)

Ingredients:
12 kg (70.3%) Pale Ale Malt - added during mash
1.58 kg (9.3%) Crystal 40 - added during mash