Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah.

I couldn't be there on brewday, hopefully next time.

Sorry you feel this way.

I had an amazing time developing and brewing this beer, blending a bunch of hop varieties that have never been blended before and putting something out there that is big and bold and full of flavour.

How is it not Epic? What does that mean? I don't know if you are aware, but Epic is now two guys that are passionate about craft beer, not just Luke. I'm going to be positive about your comments and assume you're just alluding to the fact that I'm now in the mix with regards to the creation and development of our beers. So yeah, maybe it isn't Epic as you've known it in the past.

We had a blank canvas to work with for this beer. We wanted to make something that has crossover with regard to who could drink it. We wanted to push something out there at 80 IBUs that drinks considerably less, so had great fun with the hop chemistry whilst doing this.

I was really excited to come back to brewing in New Zealand, having tasted the beers when home here on holidays, reading this forum and being excited at what was going on with craft and home brewers.

Now, all I seem to be seeing and hearing is a bunch of negativity. Yes, you're entitled to an opinion, but if you want to have a proper chat about this beer instead of waxing lyrical about how average you think this brew is, give me a call. Message me, I'll give you my phone number and we can discuss person to person what you think we've done wrong.

I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that people think that some beers are average, some are terrible and some are great. I'm a firm believer in seeing the positive in a beer, so I'll tell you about my experiences with Hop Zombie.

People have been amazed at the aroma, the flavour, the drinkability. They have embraced the sweetness, the body and the fact that the alcoholic heat is not too intense. People have come up to us and said that they usually drink wine, not beer and have never tasted anything as unique as this and drunk a couple of glasses instead of having a couple of wines.

That's the type of feedback that I'll take heed of. Hardcore beer commentators will often be negative. I guess you're just one of those people.

Kelly 

Far out mate. You've been copping it on here over the last few days. I have to hand it to you, a lot of people would just give up and not bother with posting responses. So good on you for having an opinion, and for taking the time to explain yourself.

Cheers.

nah, he's tougher than that...
+1

I was suprised as well, especially when I saw 8.5% and 80ibu (less aggressive than I expected)... but what a great beer... so well made, un-freaking-believeably pale, tasted like a 6-7% IPA rather than a 8.5% one... I'm sure it'll fly off the shelves. 

I'd want more bitterness, if it was going to become a beer I'd have a few of, as I found it a little too sweet out of the bottle... but I'm sure that it would have held up much better at colder tap temps.  I say the same thing to Soren about Hopwired... Both are still excellent beers though.

I've still not had my brains eaten. Kindof amused that my first taste of this beer will most likely be in Melbourne! Still, it managed to impress an extremely critical friend of mine (and I know some of you can guess who that is), and that's not easy.

I don't think it's brown-nosing to be positive about beer. I know what you mean though, Ryan, when someone is all positive comments to a brewer's face, and then canes it behind their back. I hate that, and I try very hard not to do it. To the point where I've offended more than one brewer in the past. I know Kelly and Luke take feedback to heart though. They both care so much about their beers (and about all beers), that every so often, it will hurt a little when some of that feedback is perceived as overly harsh or unjustified. The point of feedback is to help someone though. I wish people would remember that. I think "hey, in the next batch, would you consider dialling back the perceived sweetness a little, or is that just me?" to be far more useful to a brewer than "your beer is too fucking sweet. It sucks." - and no, I'm not implying anyone has said that! :)

As someone pointed out to me the other day, beers are like babies, and I guess it's totally natural for brewers to become very protective of their creation.

jesus all your freinds are going to be navel gazing now.
They all have beautiful navels. It'll be fine.
I had hop zombie at the MH one day last week. Honestly, it should not have been my first beer with it weighing in at 8.5. However, I took it like a man as I am a hop junky.

Personally, i like IIPA beers, as such, a higher alcohol / IBU beer I am no stranger to. I thought Hop Zombie was a very drinkable beer. It was quite fruity, and did not taste like the alcohol was going to punch one in the face. I would have enjoyed if the beer had a little more mouth feel, but am not at all disappointed. It is a good beer.
Does anyone know if Hop Zombie is in Liqourland or New World anywhere in the big AK?. Incidently I mistakenly Googled "Hot Zombie" instead of "Hop Zombie" with interesting results!
Do you still have any money left for Hop Zombie after all them Hot Zombies?

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service