Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Ok, so What Are You Brewing was a hotty, as topics go.

Now I'm 15 pints into a keg I only filled on Tuesday and wondering if anyone else has a favourite at the moment ?

It's my second brown with US-Oh05 and it's better than the forst, maybe Ikept the temps down a bit during the scorcher we had in januray

Views: 20340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Based on a recommendation like that, I picked up a Wigram Best Bitter today. Toasted Vogels is dead on :)

Really, it's just a lot better than my attempt at a best bitter - lower esters, toastier. Food for thought for my next attempt.

Nice beer that.

Talking to Paul the brewer, he uses S-04 [...pauses while stunned readers hit the floor] and ferments it really low- around 15C.

Wow.

I have some more respect for SO4 now.

Back on the Wigram's buzz tonight (among others).

Still stand by my original statement.  Drinking the honey ale, great job.

"Talking to Paul the brewer, he uses S-04"

Funny you mention that, I'm noticing on this beer the breadiness that yeast gives that everyone talks about, works well with the rest of the beer.  Also has this great fruity aroma of gum drops - can't figure out which colour - dunno if that's coming from the yeast or the honey, either way very nice.

And if anyone from Wigram is reading this, you guys should brew and bottle that APA I had of yours at the LL Beerfestival last year, that was choice.

LIL bIL and IzL, otherwise brewed as 717 719 and 721, just the way the caps read upside down.

Three browns, all bottle conditioned, letting the current batch of kegs condition a bit more

Wigram eh Glen ?

Must admit I usually only drink Wigram at events like Brewnz and it's solid, but usually overshadowed by beers 'more of the moment'

Maybe I've shortchanged myself and need another trip to the beer aisle tomorrow ?

Jeez jt I thought you had gone all txt gangsta on it for a minute -Lil bita shizL the NizL!!

While props are flying - Wigram Kortegast Sparkling Ale was pretty god damn good last time I tried too!

Must be a homebrew weekend for me.  WBC rye beer comp yesterday - all quite good beers actually, but a clear winner with a rye pale ale that hit the mark.  

Tonight Llew's lavender wheat beer in part, in the shower after installing insulation all afternoon/evening.  Llew brought this to a party a few weeks ago and I had a sip and thought I liked it but didn't pay enough attention.  After having it and paying attention, I really like it - a lot actually.  I reckon this beer could be commercially brewed and sold to posh restaraunts!

The lavender aroma is spot on - just enough to entice, not over power and the flavour really seems to work as a wheat.  It pours pale with a really decent head that lingers and leaves nice lacing on the glass.  Lavender is a herb for relaxation so this seem a perfect wind-down to a hard day's work.  If you can, you should try it.

Also now drinking a mystery home brew left at my place after another BBQ the other week.  It had a Y on the bottle top and I am thinking David's Yakima clone?  Thankfully poured myself a reasonable glass of it and then stopped as the last bits of the bottle were meaty!!  In my first glass there is a reasonably pale ale, with a good hoppy aroma that carries through the palate.  Quite drinkable.

Reckon I've got a cardamom spiced number left before bed...

I actually think of it more as a blonde ale than a wheat beer (there's actually only a touch of wheat in it.)

But either way, I'm glad you liked it Steph!  That's glowing praise indeed, especially coming from such a noted beer taster ;)

It's the third batch I've made, and I finally think I've got it almost spot on now.  And while this lot is almost all gone I'll probably be making another batch soon.

Yum...mark me down for another we bottle full.
Yep, the Y would be the Yakima Baby I brewed (with more hops). That must've been one of the last bottles I filled, the bits all sink to the bottom of the bottling bucket. Though it's getting a bit old now...

Big ups to 3-Boys.

After being inspired by watching Luke and Kelly nzcraftbeer.tv I went and had a taste of 3 Boys IPA.

It was just like some of those clear glass imported bottles! I can't put a brand name on to it in particular, but it had that big fat crystal malt whack, with loads of bitterness to back it up. There were some pleasnat earthy notes on the cleanly fermented ale also. I was overall impressed.

If I could make one small negative comment - I wish they'd stop using green bottles. I had the Pilsner and the Golden too... and all 3 beers had that bloody light struck character. A damned shame - because all the beers were perfectly delicious.

So anyway - keep up the great work 3-boys!

"If I could make one small negative comment - I wish they'd stop using green bottles"

I thought they were making the move to brown???

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service