Want to place an ad email luke@realbeer.co.nz
$50+GST / month

RealBeer.co.nz

Thought it might be handy to have a thread for some of the more advanced brewers to give some advice on recipes.

Let's see how it goes eh...

Views: 70880

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im assuming by burnt you mean it tastes unpleasant?? Which is quite strange because im looking at the recipe and it isnt over the top with anything really, only around 1% choc and black so that couldnt possibly contribute burnt flavours could it?? and even the RB is in a small quantity, especially for the style...

Maybe tannins??? Its hard to say without tasting it...
Tannins ... now would they be caused by a bit of over heating when mashing? If I remember I may have left it a bit longer than 10 minutes during the mash-out, and the sparge water may have been closer to 80 than 75.
Ive allways understood 78*c to be the max temp for sparge water, but have also read it can go up to 80*c without extracting tannins, but that could be a possibility... When I first started sparging with the jug I just guessed as to the temp and sometimes it was boiling, I was definately picking up tannins as stu pointed out a slight dry acridness in a few of my beers at the time, ive since measured my sparge temp and the problem went away...
Tannin extraction is also to do with pH as well as temperature.
Tell me more glen ;o) As in high PH equals tannins? Or low PH?
All-grain brewers are very careful not to allow wort pH to reach more than about pH 6 during sparging because tannin extraction increases with pH. In all-grain brewing wort pH typically rises during the last stages of wort collection and is one of the factors letting the brewer know that wort collection should be stopped.

From here: BYO
Cheers guys, ya learn something new every day with this game ;o)
Bugger .. that'll probably be about it then, I've never checked but I expect, from prior posts, that it'll be out due to the local water. I've got some papers to use for the next brew, just have to work out when to take the reading.
High pH, above 6 IIRC. Had a good article on it but can't find it now.

I think it's a function of all three - temperature, gravity, pH - which are all slightly related in a way.
Six hundred grams of roasted malts will give you a bit of a burnt flavour ;-)

It will start to mellow, just give it time.
Yeah In the last 5 RIS I have brewed, they have all tasted good for the first 1-2 months than after that they taste like balls for 3 months for some reason? but then they come right, just tieho bro shell be right!!
Allrighty - thinking of something like a NZ Draught amberish type beer, something with a bit of malt character but still easy to drink and refreshing in the height of summer...

So bear with me, this is what im thinking, any thoughts??

66.5% Pale
15% Vienna - Im thinking maybe lower to 10%, or even remove completely??
8% CaraRed - love this stuff!!
4% CaraAmber - for subtle toasty, biscuit notes
1.5% Carafa S III - Added at the last 10mins of the mash for colour
5% Cane sugar - To thin it out a wee bit

FWH - 16 IBU of Sauvin
15 - 7 IBU of Cascade (NZ)

S-05 fermented cool, 17-18*ish

OG of about 1042, 1044

RSS

© 2024   Created by nzbrewer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service